Can I do this with a KG4

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a set of KG4s sitting around not being used. Id like to build new cabinets for them. As long as I keep the volume the same would it work to make them taller, more narrow, and deeper?

The other thing I was curious about was moving the radiator to the side from the back?

What do you guys think?

I don't think the crossover has baffle step built in.

But the ratio of dimensions (10.75" x 15.75" x 24"), they are not golden rato (1 : 1.618) but they are close. I've found it is a factor for spreading out box resonances. Sphere is the worst, cube is bad.

So, yes you can, stagger the dimensions though.

You can alway put back in original box if you don't like it.

post-55655-0-77540000-1384545509.jpg

Is the Golden ratio for seal boxes?
It should work for either type

And is the KG 4 considered sealed because of the radiator?
No, the passive radiator (drone ) should be thought of as a space saving method to achieve a larger port than might otherwise be convenient to fit in the enclosure

I also don't have a cross over pic. I haven't taken anything apart till I get some research out of the way. I do plan on using new Crites cross overs though.
It’s a trendy thing to upgrade passive XO components to “higher quality” parts, but unless you, or some internet expert really know what you/they are doing, it’d probably be best to stick with the original circuit schematic.

Any particular reason why you’d want to relocate the PRs to a side?

You can probably feel free to adjust dimensions a bit, but be sure to retain the original net volume, and don’t stretch too tall, or unaccounted for 1/4 wave action might complicate things somewhat. Also, as Norm notes, too narrow and the frequency at which baffle step loss occurs could rise enough to affect mid bass. Whether or not that’s a bad thing is open to discussion.

Whatever direction you take, from my exposure to several “heritage”models of Klipschs, you could certainly do well to include more cabinet bracing than seen in stock builds.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.