2-way or 3-way with subwoofer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Paul, since you already have 2-ways and 2 subs, my recommendation is to just buy minidsp 2x4HD, download a plugin with the code that comes with it AND buy UMIK-1 at the same time. Download REW or some other freeware measurement program. THEN learn to use them! You must set minidsp box between your source(s) and the power amplifier+subs. Some integrated amplifiers can handle that with a loop.

Usually subs with built-in amplifier has some kind of adjustable lowpass filter and phase adjust. If you use a modern HT amplifier, it can take the measurement/adjustment job and then you bypass the filters of the plate amp.

But if you have a stereo system, minidsp and own measurements will give you enormous advantage over any pre-installed system! The most important thing is to be able to delay main speakers! Second is freedom of xo point and slope. By making on-site measurements you can equalize each driver flat well beyond xo before setting xo slopes. Measurements are a bit tricky to do reliably indoors, but not difficult. There are some hidden holes...

With minidsp you can get mono or stereo signal to subwoofers. My recommendation is stereo with LR2 acoustic xo around 100Hz. Timing is very important to get right, but well worth the effort. This setup still gives you freedom to change amplifier and main/sub speakers. Just new adjustments and there you go!
2x4_boxed_new.jpg

My HT room, a single PPSL sub with minidsp. Acoustic LR2, eq and time-aligned.

Attachments

• aw7 ppsl mini cf2v1 sofa all.jpg
    aw7 ppsl mini cf2v1 sofa all.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Paul, since you already have 2-ways and 2 subs, my recommendation is to just buy minidsp 2x4HD, download a plugin with the code that comes with it AND buy UMIK-1 at the same time. Download REW or some other freeware measurement program. THEN learn to use them! You must set minidsp box between your source(s) and the power amplifier+subs. Some integrated amplifiers can handle that with a loop.

My HT room, a single PPSL sub with minidsp. Acoustic LR2, eq and time-aligned.

Sorry, guess I didn't mention it, I have a MiniDSP 2x4HD and the Umik-1 but I hate the sound of the towers I have now (PSB Imagine T), they sound as if someone put a thick blanket over them, almost like the tweeter isn't hooked up. I replaced the tweeters and X-overs but nothing has changed. That's why I'm looking to build my own. Just trying to figure out if it would be better to go 2-way or 3-way. And would rather build a kit designed by someone who knows what they are doing as I am very new to diy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.