Peerless 830869 + SB26ADC-04 crossover help?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Paul, it is fine to change the cap values. From your simulation I see we can get better FR with 15uF and 33uF than with 18uF and 33uF. I'm interested in getting the best response out of these, this is why the stepped baffle to physically time-align is also an option.

Last edited:
Bit more of crossover simulation. I'll try this one today as I got the parts for it at hand and measure drivers separately. Note that this is not optimal, lacks level matching etc.

Attachments

• crossover.jpg
    crossover.jpg
    553.5 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
Mayuri,

For your last simulation I have different results in Leap than yours.
Also your filter electrical transfer response is different for the woofer.

In Leap it looks not so good. The woofer has a strong peak at 1200Hz.

I will check also. It looks that your woofer impedance is different from mine.
I have attached my woofer impedance in the cabinet.

Attachments

• Mayuri filter V6 Impedance woofer in cabinet.JPG
    Mayuri filter V6 Impedance woofer in cabinet.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Mayuri filter V6 Impedance.JPG
    Mayuri filter V6 Impedance.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Mayuri filter V6 phase.JPG
    Mayuri filter V6 phase.JPG
    180.6 KB · Views: 188
  • Mayuri filter V6 SPL.JPG
    Mayuri filter V6 SPL.JPG
    182.2 KB · Views: 216
  • Mayuri filter V6 schematic.JPG
    Mayuri filter V6 schematic.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 231
Results from aforementioned filter. 1m measurements are gated 3,5ms, 30cm measurements are only smoothed 1/24 oct. Looks pretty decent.

Dropbox - filter1.mdat

The measurement looks conform the Leap simulation, but you measure a little higher level for the tweeter. Also the tweeter shape is a little different around 2kHz. It should fit better.
Maybe one time also measure again the driver responses without filter.
Then I can compare a second time with the models.

Here are measurements with and without filters at 30cm and 1m distances. Filter is the one in the attachment.
Dropbox - filter2.mdat

Mayuri, your zma files do not contain any valid phase data, that's why your simulations are not correct. Attached are files that should work better. :)
Thanks for the tip! However, when I try to load the files you provided into VituixCAD, it gives an error and says they don't contain frequency data.

Attachments

• crossover.jpg
    crossover.jpg
    555.3 KB · Views: 67
Mayuri,

I have checked the Leap driver models versus the REW measurement filter 2. There is a good fit.
You can see in attach, models in color, measurements in grey.

Alright, so the simulations are correct. I'm going to make some more tests tomorrow when I get my soldering iron back (borrowed it to a friend for the a weekend, a mistake in hindsight). I'll check my own filter first and if it is unsatisfactory I'll order the parts for this filter:
657843d1516464972-peerless-830869-sb26adc-04-crossover-help-mayuri-filter-v3-schematic-jpg

Also I got the speakers with terminal cups atm, will detach them and use the hole for a test port as well (4cm diameter with 10cm lenght for 33Hz tuning). It should push the F3 a little lower.

Mayuri

Here the simulation with 15 uF and 33 uF. Coils are 3.9 mH / 0.30 Ohm and 0.22 mH / 0.82 Ohm. Z is minimum 3.25 Ohm. Serial resistor in tweeter filter 2.7 Ohm now.

This is the best I can make with this filter configuration.

Paul

Attachments

• Mayuri filter V7 transfer filter.JPG
    Mayuri filter V7 transfer filter.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 204
  • Mayuri filter V7 Impedance.JPG
    Mayuri filter V7 Impedance.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 199
  • Mayuri filter V7 phase.JPG
    Mayuri filter V7 phase.JPG
    183.3 KB · Views: 204
  • Mayuri filter V7 SPL.JPG
    Mayuri filter V7 SPL.JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 231
  • Mayuri filter V7 schematic.JPG
    Mayuri filter V7 schematic.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 227
Thank you kindly for your help Paul, Erik and Dissi!

I will post measurements of effects of porting and filters on the following week. I will probably put a small resistor in series before the tweeter filter to push level a bit down and to bring impedance up around 2kHz.

Thank you kindly for your help Paul, Erik and Dissi!

I will post measurements of effects of porting and filters on the following week. I will probably put a small resistor in series before the tweeter filter to push level a bit down and to bring impedance up around 2kHz.

You are very welcome Mayuri. I find it always interesting to have some feedback of practical realizations of something on paper.

The minimum impedance is too low, and with many amplifiers may lead to a depressed output in the 2-5kHz range.

I would strongly suggest rethinking it, but it is impossible to do if you insist on keeping the caps.

Best,

E

Erik,

I agree, this is on the limit. With the last filter version 7, the minimum impedance is 3.25 Ohm at 2.5 kHz, impedance plot in attach.
The serial resistance of the 0.27mH coil has to be 0.82 Ohm.
I am looking to improve it. The problem is that this tweeter needs some filter boost between 2 and 5 kHz to become flat.

Paul

Attachments

• Filter V7 Impedance.JPG
    Filter V7 Impedance.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Surprise measurements! Got my soldering iron back, which means that I immidiately soldered together a filter (attachment) with the parts I got at hand currently. Tried out a port in place of terminal cup in this version, 4cm diameter 11cm long (should be 33Hz tuning). Ordered the parts for the filter v7 Paul made.

Dropbox - filter3.mdat

Attachments

• crossover.jpg
    crossover.jpg
    548.1 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.