Anyone hear Pete Schumacher's Apollo's?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Saw these on DIYSoundgroup but can't find much info on them. Looking for a build for L/R mains in my living room. Will be paired with NAD C375BEE integrated (150W/2) and I have a sub to cover the low end so only need to cover to 60 or 80hz. Room is open on one side to dining room so not ideal but it is what it is for now. 75% music, 25% movies. Other kits I am considering include Jeff Bagbys Kairos and Spirit Winds, Clearwave 4T SE, and Michael Chua's Starling to name a few. Anyone with thoughts or listening impressions? Thanks.

I heard the Apollos at the Iowa DIY get together last October. The event was held in a hall that seats 500 and they filled the hall with ease. Great MTMs that sounded very well balanced and they received a lot of positive comments. With dual Anarchy woofers per side you probably wouldn't need a sub-woofer for HT unless you want your pant legs to flap.

The Kairos and Spirit Winds are a in a different speaker class (2 way monitors) and price range. I haven't heard them, but many think they are two of Jeff's best designs. They'll need sub-woofers for HT use (which I believe Jeff has designed).

If you ask over at the Parts Express Tech Talk forum you might someone in PA that will let you listen to their Kairos or Spirit Winds. As always, it comes down to the designer's voicing you prefer and how much you want to spend. If cost was no object I'd go with the Spirit Winds with separate subs. In the real world I'd get the Apollos for a fraction of the cost and still be very happy. YMMV.

Spirit Wind monitors

A couple of years ago I had Jeff Bagby design a crossover for the same drivers. The cabinet I built was different than the speakers Jeff built. Otherwise mine are substantially the same. If one can afford the $2K kit price from Madisound, you'll be rewarded with a pair of incredible-sounding speakers. Mine are paired with dual 12" subs with 300W BASH amps, although the speakers do a fine job by themselves.

"the $2K kit price from Madisound"....are you referring to the Spirit Winds? They are my "Want but can't really afford right now" choice so I guess I'm kind of thinking that for about $600 or so for the Apollos I can see how I like them and get some more experience with cabinet building.

The Kairos and Spirit Winds are a in a different speaker class (2 way monitors) and price range. I haven't heard them, but many think they are two of Jeff's best designs. They'll need sub-woofers for HT use (which I believe Jeff has designed).

I think for now I will try the Apollos and when the funds become available move them into the spare bedroom and step up to something like the Kairos or Spirit Winds.

I have not heard the APOLLO kit, but I have listened to the Anarchy woofer, and with Mms=30g and Le=0.84mH it does not have the same crisp transient sound as a true midrange with a Mms=11g and Le=0.11mH. I have never been a fan of the MTM layout, especially with 7" midbass lobing patterns.

A $450 budget/speaker parts will allow you to build great full range 3-way front speakers like a small diameter SB26STCN tweet + sealed MR16P-4 mid + a 4cuft sealed 12” SB34NRX75-6 woof. A side woof allows a narrow front baffle. Your single 18" subwoofer would only be required for big-boom HT.

So much work and time to build a speaker. Run the numbers on "the "incremental cost" for the total build.

How would the Apollo's compare to the Jim Holtz Statement Monitors ? They look a similar size/price but obviously different philosophy.

Statements_Monitor

Statements_Monitors_0026-NW_Small.JPG

Last edited:
Couple questions about the Apollos:
Will the 4ohm rating be an issue for me?
Can I build this design sealed without a change to the crossovers?

I would also be interested in thoughts on the Statement Monitors.

Hi Paulys55,

The Apollo MTM is an "easy" 4-ohm load. Most decent amps can handle 4-Ohm loads as long as you're not trying to run them near max RMS for extended periods. I have a pair powered by an entry level Yamaha receiver with 85W 8-ohm rating. Sitting 10' away and that modest amp plays as loud as we really want for TV viewing. For the "live," chest pounding experience, you'd want a much more powerful amp, something that can deliver at least 250W into 4 ohms.

No change would be required of the crossover if you build these as sealed enclosures. Keep in mind that they are voiced for placement out into the room. If they are to be used against the wall, or otherwise constricted, bass levels will be enhanced. If you have room EQ available, adjusting for it is accomplished easily with just a shelving filter.

Apollo is envisioned as a full-range 2-way. Based on its measured response, it accomplishes that task. And it produces that response to ridiculously high SPL when considering the physical size of the system. So when comparing to anything else of similar size, the first and most obvious take-away is that Apollo will deliver palpable impact that no other speaker its size can deliver. That's what using the Anarchy woofer does for you.

I'll echo what linesource stated in another way. For rendering a clearer sound, a well designed 3-way improves over a 2-way, especially in the midrange. Where the Statement may have the goods on the Apollo is in the midrange. But the differences in the designs are a major factor in the sound. The use of a ribbon crossed to a midrange at around 3500Hz (?) vs. a large format dome crossed at 1200Hz. I've not spent any time in front of the Statement monitors, but I am living with Apollo MTM. They do a fantastic job with music and movies and play to ridiculously high volume without ever sounding stressed. They are a LOT of fun when listening to music with deep fundamentals.

Hi Paulys55,

The Apollo MTM ...

Honored to get your reply. I made the decision to try out the Apollos and after living with them for about a month now can say that I am very happy. I stuck with the original design and built them ported. Ran them for a while in my bedroom off a mid level Sony receiver and like you said, they are really fun. Just moved them down to the living room yesterday and am in the process of integrating them with my existing surround system. So far so good. Powered by an NAD C 375BEE and using MiniDSP 2x4HD to get them to play nice with a sealed Stereo Integrity HST-18 MKii. The combo is pretty scary on some movie scenes. I will do a full review once everything is integrated and broken in. Thanks again for a great design and all your help.

Paul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.