Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Wiring for both Passive and Active X-over
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th January 2018, 04:35 PM   #1
almstsobur is offline almstsobur  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Wiring for both Passive and Active X-over

I'm just about getting to the wiring on my Statement ii speaker build. I have the components for the passive crossover and I have most of it built already. I also have a MiniDSP 2x8 that I would like to incorporate to try out an active X-over setup.

Please excuse my crude MS paint drawing, but this is more or less what I had in mind to keep things super simple. Basically the bottom 3 terminals are direct, always connected active crossover connections and the top are bi-wire/bi-amp H+M/W passive connections and a DPST toggle to break the connection to the passive X-over and speakers when I am using the active setup.

Does anyone see a better way to do this? I am trying to keep it very simple, I don't want to incorporate power, relays, or anything more than absolutely necessary. Does anyone see any problems with this, any effect on sound quality, or the like? I may need two toggle switches or more poles, I need to put this circuit together in my head a little better, but does the gist seem okay?

I appreciate the input.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Active_pass.jpg (116.2 KB, 94 views)

Last edited by almstsobur; 17th January 2018 at 04:39 PM.
Old 17th January 2018, 04:46 PM   #2
picowallspeaker is offline picowallspeaker  Italy
diyAudio Member

You want to bypass the passive crossover.
Or you just need the lowpass and /or the highpass of some sections and leave the lowpass and /or the highpass function performed by the Mini DSp
Old 17th January 2018, 05:08 PM   #3
almstsobur is offline almstsobur  United States
diyAudio Member

I'd like it to be either or. Either all passive, which is Bi-wire Tweeters+mids and Woofer. Or all Active, Tweeter, Mids, Woofer on their own connection, the lower one.

Last edited by almstsobur; 17th January 2018 at 05:28 PM.
Old 19th January 2018, 02:06 PM   #4
HaerdenC is offline HaerdenC  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to HaerdenC Wiring for both Passive and Active X-over
I'm currently planning a build of speakers and had the same kind of question so what I will be doing is an alternative way of thinking ... I prepare my speakers with clamps for active crossover, the passive crossovers I ordered will be placed in an external casing :-)

If I ever want to go fully active I just wire to each amp currently I run old Marantz amps and use my external passive crossovers.
Old 19th January 2018, 02:39 PM   #5
Keruskerfuerst is offline Keruskerfuerst  Germany
diyAudio Member

If you want to use an active crossover, then the driver units must be directly to the amps.
Old 19th January 2018, 06:52 PM   #6
russc is offline russc  England
diyAudio Member

Except for a protection capacitor for the tweeter.
Old 18th February 2018, 12:10 PM   #7
Jollygreenaudiophile is offline Jollygreenaudiophile  United States
diyAudio Member

If your system design is correct. And everything is in good working order you do not "need" a cap for the tweeter. And it just sounds better.

Wiring for both Passive and Active X-overHide this!Advertise here!