Fountek / Peavey ribbon tweeters- need some opinions and help

with just a little work they would be as good as new.

Even if they were tested aggresivly it is unlikley the damage would look exactly as they do. These are not super thin pleated foil designs that can be stretched out easily by testing the wrong way. These are much thicker foil AND it is designed such that the ribbon is flat and under some tension. I can tell you from years of experience prototyping ribbon designs that its just very unlikley to damage in test. I it was damaged in test the ribbon should no longer be flat. It would be wrinkled and or show signs of the foil softening from heat and necking down usually in the mid section.

If someone opened them up and stuck their finger in them the ribbon would also have defomation in the from of folds or necking

Those ribbons look flat and smooth, like they are just loose or were installed too loose. Easy to fix.

I am not totally against an attempt at repair, its just at the price I paid I wasn't expecting to have to attempt repairing them.

I was expecting to install them in the enclosures and attach a crossover and thats it. What would cause them to be so loose?

They have at LEAST 6mm of play back and forth and when held vertically the ribbons have visually noticeable sag....

Seems to me like that would be hard to miss, although I am not accusing ED of knowingly passing them on in this condition.

Ed, when you said you tested them before shipping did you do a frequency response sweep? Or what kind of test was it?

I don't mean to sound snarky, but checking if they make noise is not really "testing" ribbons.... (or any driver for that matter)

So what can we do? Can I return them or not?

I could try to repair they myself but that wasn't the bargain... I paid for a pair of ribbons in good working order and that is not what I got.

I am not accusing you of anything, in fact if you have no way of testing them then you probably would have not known. (aside from the fact the movement and play in the ribbons is a visible +/- 6mm.....)

:confused: