HELP! Disassembling a set of JBL S312's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm new to this site and, basically, new to speaker restoration. However, I just got a "new" (used) set of JBL S312 speakers. They have some minor damage that I'm trying to repair and I'm not sure how to proceed. Here are my problems:

1. I need to remove the face plates on both speakers and am not sure how to get them off. I've already removed the screws, but the plate still seems to be attached towards the top of the speaker. I don't want to force them loose for fear of breaking the plastic. How do I remove them?

2. The dust caps for both of the midrange drivers have been torn away, so I need to replace them. I've looked for new caps online and have only been able to find black paper caps and I'm not sure they're the right type to use. The cones themselves are supposed to be "polyplas," I believe, and I'm not exactly sure what that is, so I don't want to use the wrong type of cap. Also, the original caps were copper-colored, like the cones, and since the replacements I've found are black, I'm not sure how to correct the coloring. Would it be correct to just paint them after they're in place?

I'll probably have other questions later, but that's where I am now.

Thank you for any help you may be able to offer!

Dust caps are not critical parts, as long as they are not too heavy they will be fine (well, as long as you do not use aluminum or mesh caps). I think it will look best if you paint them before glueing them on.

Service manual: JBL S 312 STUDIO SERIES Service Manual

The face plate might stick to the box because of a gasket.

Thank you very much!

I was aware that the dust caps weren't absolutely necessary, but I want to restore the speakers to "like new" condition. I appreciate the help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.