Inductor coil distance from loudspeaker magnet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
4 inductors of various sizes on the passive XO board are placed as close as 10cm to the magnet of the 12' Peerless XLS driver.

Would that distance from the magnet cause problems to the inductors? How far is safe?

If the inductors are air-cored there will be little to no effect on the inductance, but if the inductors are iron cored there is likely to be some change in the inductance of the inductors due to the induced magnetism from the magnet into the cores.
Whether this will make a noticeable difference audio wise can only be tested by removing the crossover some distance from the speaker's magnet.

C.M

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I don't know who's studied this, I haven't, but the possibilities are straightforward I think. The inductor flux could modulate the motor. The motor could saturate if it isn't already. I know I've had inductors close to magnets before with little to report but I don't choose to do it.

You could use some shielding if you have no choice.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.