Small front on wide baffle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of bookshelf speakers that I want to build new cabinets for and mount them on the wall.
I want to keep the same internal volume of the original but make them only around 10cm deep instead of the original 35cm.
To do this I must make the cabinet higher and wider, im thinking 40x40cm and the original is 20x35, I understand that the wider cabinet will have an impact on sound but is there a way around that without changing the crossover?
Can I make a smaller front on topp of the wider baffle? will that work?
See attached picture for example.

Attachments

• P_8203_7_750-325.jpg
    P_8203_7_750-325.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 254
I have a pair of bookshelf speakers that I want to build new cabinets for and mount them on the wall.
I want to keep the same internal volume of the original but make them only around 10cm deep instead of the original 35cm.
That's basically an in-wall speaker, and thus doesn't require baffle step compensation. If the original speaker has any baffle step compensation you'll end up with a heavy bass and low-midrange speaker. Reverting this to a balanced sound will require a change of the crossover, as you'll need to lift all the midrange and treble.

Ralf

That's basically an in-wall speaker, and thus doesn't require baffle step compensation. If the original speaker has any baffle step compensation you'll end up with a heavy bass and low-midrange speaker. Reverting this to a balanced sound will require a change of the crossover, as you'll need to lift all the midrange and treble.

Ralf
If the original had baffle step correction, the crossover will include a section to lower the midrange and treble. You will need to reverse this. A benefit is that the speakers will be 3-6 dB louder when you do so.

It’s not that easy. In a 2W the baffle step occurs in the mid-woofer range only, and is mainly dealt with an oversized low-pass coil and subsequent cap, so you need to change everything and need also measurement to decide what exactly to do. For the tweeter it can be easier, but you also need a tweeter with the appropriate SPL room.

Ralf

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
To do this I must make the cabinet higher and wider, im thinking 40x40cm and the original is 20x35, I understand that the wider cabinet will have an impact on sound but is there a way around that without changing the crossover?
Can I make a smaller front on topp of the wider baffle? will that work?
See attached picture for example.

You can certainly do all you plan to do, but having a back wall of the box so much closer to the midrange driver will cause some very early reflections. Expect some minor degradation in sound quality. To combat this, apply as much damping inside box as you can.

hmm, not as easy as I first thought then.
So the smaller front wont do anything becouse the wall will be to close to the driver anyway?

The crossover is a 4th order and have a 18uF cap in series with a 12 ohm resistor thats parallel to the woofer, in my boxsim calculations that lowers the frequency respons between 500-1700hz, is that the baffle step compensation?

Don't forget the 'boundary effect' through being so close to a wall, it will add to the lower frequencies anything up to 9 db (more or less) depending on positioning. Reducing the depth of the cabinet to 10 cm deep may not be for the best sonic output either, with such a depth the cabinet will become more of a enclosed conduit than a cabinet. Leave the bass driver have some depth behind it so that it can move freely without having any volume constraints placed upon it.

C.M

Last edited:
The crossover is a 4th order and have a 18uF cap in series with a 12 ohm resistor thats parallel to the woofer, in my boxsim calculations that lowers the frequency respons between 500-1700hz, is that the baffle step compensation?
It is too much to ask for a schematic of the crossover? Who designed it? Just to be sure. But I bet that this is a Zobel preceded by a textbook crossover. If so probably it doesn't perform as intended as the 4th order electrical crossover likely results in a xth order acoustic slope (x>4). Maybe this crossover doesn't have any BSC built in, but it is hard to know without measurements.

Ralf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.