Which 3-W Classic.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A big part of the Harbeth sound is their thin walled lossy cabinet. Troels' designs goes against that principle,he likes elaborate bracing and 20-22mm thick walls.

Hi all, I would also like to build some of Troels projects. I like the classic 3w design, so the 3w classic is obviously first on my DIY project list.
The thing that bothers me though is the sound of these speakers compared to some of the successful commercial projects, such as Harbeth super HL5, or monitor 30.1. I was auditioning Harbeth monitor 30.2 anniversary edition recently and their sound was just magical! Smooth and natural mids with enough bass to rock. There are so much commercial speakers these days that just make me nervous and edgy. Harbeths are at the opposite end of the spectrum. I would like to make something that is non-fatiguing and yet more transparent and modern sounding.
I wonder which category does the 3w classic, or any other Troels design for that matter, fall in? Is there a sound signature of some sort? Has anyone made such comparisons? :confused:

It is a big decision for me to go and build a speaker I've never heard before and I know I won't be able to resell easily if the sound doesn't suit me right.

Cheers!

A big part of the Harbeth sound is their thin walled lossy cabinet. Troels' designs goes against that principle,he likes elaborate bracing and 20-22mm thick walls.

I'm fully aware of these design differences, but I believe there are more paths to achieve excellence. When I listened to Harbeths I also auditioned a pair of Ryan r610. Now these speakers have nothing in common with the classic BBC design. Quite the opposite actually with fully braced, heavily damped cabs. And yet they offer a similar relaxed and transparent performance although with a little more energy in HF.
I guess I was just wondering how classic is the Troels' 3w classic sound?

@a3cervo I just love how your cabs came out! Excellent craftsmanship!

@jozhaa, under the "Choices" section of Troels' page, he recommends the ScanSpeak 3way classic: "if you're looking for a cost-efficient speaker that delivers a midrange that compares to speakers 2-3 times its price" and I believe this is the strength of these speakers.

I can also understand why some people will find these "boring" or "uninvolving" like what Lojzek mentioned because they sound neutral and without coloration. I found myself dozing off on a few occasions while listening to vocal jazz & nocturnes :D:D

@jozhaa, under the "Choices" section of Troels' page, he recommends the ScanSpeak 3way classic: "if you're looking for a cost-efficient speaker that delivers a midrange that compares to speakers 2-3 times its price" and I believe this is the strength of these speakers.

I can also understand why some people will find these "boring" or "uninvolving" like what Lojzek mentioned because they sound neutral and without coloration. I found myself dozing off on a few occasions while listening to vocal jazz & nocturnes :D:D

Thanks a3cervo! I really appreciate your answers. Did you go for the standard Z of superior Z version for the crossover? It's my only concern now :boggled:

Troels description about SBA 3way classic.

"These speakers will seriously challenge any similar equipped constructions! The 12MNRX midrange delivers detail in spades and is gently supported by a clean, neutral and extended treble. Bass is surprisingly deep and on par or better than any of my other 3-Way Classis. The rigid paper cone does its thing and provides an articulate bass.
Is it overall lush? No! Is it overall laid-back? No! Is it... I could go on. I can't find anything negative for the size and cost. On the contrary, these drivers deliver qualities we're used to pay seriously more money for.''

A chose between SBA 3way classic and sb nac-61. After reading this comprasion OBL-15_Max

4th order + 3th order VS LR2 everywhere in 3way. Before the actual order I shall write Troels. Now I have already bothered with the questions to Troels about Qms, Qes and similar things...:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.