4" midwoofer for mini 2 way

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello guys!

I have some speaker's cabinets and want to make budget mini 2 way monitors. Volume is about 4L. I consider right now some 4" speakers for use in that project:

- midwoofers Dayton RS125-4 (8), Dayton RS125P-8. I would be grateful for the feedback from those who had the opportunity to compare them. For a long time I wanted to but never used speakers with metal cones.
Also consider SB12PAC25-4. There are not many reviews. Cheap. The parameters are also good. But plastic basket is ugly.

On HFreaquency I consider DAYTON ND25FA-4 and ND28F-6. I have not decided yet. Because of the cabinet, a tweeter with a flange diameter of 66-75mm is needed.

I absolutely love metal cone drivers. They do need extra care with the crossover but they sound great to me. Lack of any aberations in csd untill the breakup is quite perceivable. With 4-5" midwoofers ringing is almost always over 8KHz. In my two way with Seas L15 ringing is -35dB on axis and -45dB only 10deg off axis. I don't know if anyone can hear it but i certainly can not.

Seas have paper versions CA15 and ER15 and they are easier to work with but they do not sound so natural as L15 does.

I'd always look for metal cone midwoofer before any kind of plastic. I thought very high of paper cones and they do have their place (woofers and pro speakers) but now i'm all in for metal for home speakers. If not metal, my second choice would be kevlar or fiberglass.

Last edited:
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hello guys!

I have some speaker's cabinets and want to make budget mini 2 way monitors. Volume is about 4L. I consider right now some 4" speakers for use in that project:

- midwoofers Dayton RS125-4 (8), Dayton RS125P-8. I would be grateful for the feedback from those who had the opportunity to compare them. For a long time I wanted to but never used speakers with metal cones.
Also consider SB12PAC25-4. There are not many reviews. Cheap. The parameters are also good. But plastic basket is ugly.

On HFreaquency I consider DAYTON ND25FA-4 and ND28F-6. I have not decided yet. Because of the cabinet, a tweeter with a flange diameter of 66-75mm is needed.

Rs125 aluminium cone drivers are excellent...

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The notion that metal cone drivers sound metallic is utter nonsense. Rs125's are flat, neutral and balanced. Very low distortion, pure hifi. Small resonance at ~10k is no issue as its quite far up and easily removed. Plus they go quite deep for such a small driver. They can practically cover very large range, say 150 to 3000 hz, which is beneficial.
Highly recommended.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.