Anyone know how to control a driver's room response physically??? (rather than L/C)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just wondering if anyone is familiar with good/bad/ugly attempts to manage in room (and/or at the listening seat) frequency response by trapping upper frequency energy either through acoustic absorption/damping such as thick layers or fibergalss insulation haning in front of the driver, or through trapping direct radiation into a chamber that is shaped/filled/lined in such a way as to mute a certain frequency of sound waves.

I do recall some very minor physical obstructions design to resonate and thus absorb some energy coming off a tweeter, I believe Boston Acoustic tried this during their first few years in business. I also know that some designer have chosen certain speaker grill materials for their ability to tame aggressive tweeters, but I am looking for ideas on much more substantial effects.

The reason I am asking is that I am thinking about taking anywheres from 2 to 4 different full range drivers, putting them all in a BR or TL cabinet with one facing front, one facing the back, one facing up and one facing down. I would choose the best upper bass - lower mid on up type of driver to serve as the primary facing front to the listener, and then attempt to slot load the others with different sized/spaced slots and or different types of physical obstructions so as to trap and/or absorb the mid/high frequencies but allow the bass, upper bass, and lower mids to flow out into the room to varrying degrees and with varying dispersion patterns depending on the desired response at the listening seat in a given room. Ideally, I am thinking about making this obstructions tune-able to some degree so they could be adjusted based on the room and the rest of the system. Is this the dumbest thing you have every heard of or is it possible to get true high-end results along with the given that it may not be the most effective use of rather expensive drivers?

Thanks for you help and insight, much appreciated.

Conceptually this sounds like a bandpass design, regardless of the manner in which it is implemented. Since acoustic BP are often considered very poor quality-wise when compared to passive or active BP, it seems likely to be a dead end.

I think there will also be problems because with the drivers facing every-which-way you will have phase problems, especially if you use this into the midrange.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.