Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Aluminum enclosure for 2-way bookshelf?
Aluminum enclosure for 2-way bookshelf?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2018, 02:53 AM   #51
bobthedespot is offline bobthedespot  United States
diyAudio Member

Just to chime in...

The esoteric line of woofers from PE was a disaster, with horrific breakup modes and poor spider construction.

If you can, I'd recommend steering away from the esoteric line.
Old 13th March 2018, 06:16 AM   #52
Zvu is offline Zvu  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presidentovich View Post
Hello all, I have a question!
How can we make the aluminum box air tight, I mean how to seal the aluminum sheets where they meet together in the corners, is there any suitable glue or how to do it???
If i made alu cabinets, i'd seal them with epoxy - after powdercoating or anodizing or what ever finish you'd do on the plates.
Old 13th March 2018, 10:14 AM   #53
TMM is offline TMM  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to TMM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthedespot View Post
Just to chime in...

The esoteric line of woofers from PE was a disaster, with horrific breakup modes and poor spider construction.

If you can, I'd recommend steering away from the esoteric line.
Really? It doesn't seem totally terrible to me, although the value is low given it seems to performs not much better than most $30-50 woofers. I'd get the RS180 over it any day.
Test Bench - Dayton Audio ES180Ti-8 7” High-End Midbass Woofer
Old 13th March 2018, 11:09 AM   #54
bobthedespot is offline bobthedespot  United States
diyAudio Member

I've owned all 4 revisions of the line, and I was never happy.

YMMV, and maybe I just missed something simple. I used LEAP for the modeling, but no dice on the actual listening experience.
Old 13th March 2018, 03:28 PM   #55
jReave is offline jReave  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presidentovich View Post
Hello all, I have a question!
How can we make the aluminum box air tight, I mean how to seal the aluminum sheets where they meet together in the corners, is there any suitable glue or how to do it???
Ideally, the best method would be welding them together. But you can also braze aluminum together with a blow torch, albeit not as strongly as welding and apparently much more prone to failure unless you do it absolutely correctly. Search YouTube for more info if that appeals to you.

The alternative would be to drill and tap (put screw threads) into the aluminum and then assemble more or less like a regular box but with gaskets at the joints to seal everything. You could fasten at the edges or use internal bracing to pull everything together. Study Magico.

However, you might look instead at the original Magico mini and opt instead for just aluminum front and back baffles with the rest of the cabinet in some form of Baltic Birch. It's a devastatingly effective design and I speak from experience.
Old 14th March 2018, 06:14 PM   #56
3wayaddict is offline 3wayaddict  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I got pulled back to this concept but when I was looking for aluminum sheets I decided this project isn't gonna happen as soon as I saw the numbers. I thought it wasn't super expensive but I was indeed wrong. Only one side panel would cost over $200!!! No wonder Magicos are so expensive beside the fact they are a very high end brand!
If you want to make a system so stupidly overkill that only the rear speakers are 10 ft tall and so powerful that no amp on earth can push them to their limits. Go ahead, but keep the quality good though.
Old 14th March 2018, 06:22 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

But I see stainless steel is way less expensive and steel is heavier and stiffer than aluminum. Or is there other factors that make it a worse material for speakers?
If you want to make a system so stupidly overkill that only the rear speakers are 10 ft tall and so powerful that no amp on earth can push them to their limits. Go ahead, but keep the quality good though.
Old 14th March 2018, 07:05 PM   #58
diyAudio Member

And then I'm purely talking about sq influencing factors. I know the enclosures would be super heavy but I don't care. If you take a look at my other threads these speakers have developed to two huge active monsters with DSP driven 2 x 300 watt RMS @ 4 ohm bi amplifiers. If they get insanely heavy, I will make the stands insanely strong, I don't give a damn.

Aluminum enclosure for 2-way bookshelf?Hide this!Advertise here!