Accuton Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
jainbaby said:
Anyone have any firsthand experience with Accuton drivers?

Rocky said:
You should talk to CeramicMan...

I've used the C94, C44, C23, and C12, but none of the others. What would you like to know? If it helps, here's a short review of these:

C12: a great sounding 25mm tweeter with chamber. It has a very wide "flood-light" sound that is clean and clear.

C23: a bigger version of the above, with a slightly lower midrange response. It can go extremely loud with very low compression (with a 3rd-order XO at 2750Hz).

C44: it appears to use the same chamber and face-plate as the C23. Volume-wise it's not as sensitive, but it can still go loud though. It doesn't sound as good as a C12 or C23 in the top end, so it does need a separate tweeter above it. Something tells me I should have gotten the C79 after all, though I can't be certain as I haven't heard the C79. It may yet shine when I give it some decent filtering.

C94: very clean sound that can do squealling and whistling sounds without any warbling (which shows that the low Qes and stiff cone combination really pays off). The box requirements took me by surprise though, so remember: it's a large midrange, not a dedicated woofer and it needs a design that reflects the fact. The enclosure material should not be overly hard, but preferably soft and absorbant such as thick panels of plastic or semi-flexible composite like styrofoam with fibreglass. The sound just seems to get better and better whenever I add more stuffing to the box, at the cost of some bass. A decent subwoofer that can be crossed over at >125Hz with a high-order filter is a must.

Thought should be given to the protective metal grills. The design of the one on the C94 means that the middle part isn't flat but curved inwards very slightly. Tapping the grill shows that it does ring somewhat, but covering it with a fine cloth might not eliminate the ringing entirely.

CM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.