DIY speakers for Audio(phile) Cafe Bar...Need help and support!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am turning 50 this year.

So the juvenile in me thinks that it is the best time to do something crazy and become an entrepreneur...daydreaming about starting an audio(phile) cafe bar somewhere in North or West Europe (I am a Brit and I somewhat know the scene in London and Brighton, but would also be willing to try it somewhere else if I can find a local partner).

Since it is a speaker forum, let's start with your opinions on the speakers:
I WANT THE SPEAKERS (and the music) TO BE THE CENTRE OF THE SHOW
(in business speak, this will be the unique selling point)
Japanese HiFi cafes are of course the inspiration here.

Please consider two scenarios:

1. a relatively large venue with perhaps something like old Western Electric or Altec theater style speakers (big horns, maybe some open baffle goodness)

2. small/medium venue with perhaps JBL or Westlake main studio monitor style speakers (ie speakers that can be placed near or on walls to save space)

Last edited:
xN-3Ty65bRSBbQgqxHh7hiuRxmA93-RjZCHjTNq3QZcYBcIx0n62FKk-j6kibLLQnwLFzvjDEVSsxQ=w1165-h777

copy Legis set, just double the size under 40hz

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes!

This is what I would do if I was to build great sounding 4-way speakers:
I would select some good tweeter, say RAAL or Beyma tpl150, or any other...then I would select upper midrange, not too big, it has to be ~6" to go high up to the ribbon, my choice would be 6fe200, great mid up to 5kHz with no breakups...then I would get some pro woofer, say 12", efficient, with minimum breakups, plenty of them to choose, especially faitalpro, finally some 18" woofer.
This would not necessarily have to be active, I would split the signal for woofer, use plate amp to power it, and send upper part of the signal to separate amp and make rest passive. That way it would be easy swap stereo amps for fun.
Good luck with the jazz café idea.
Cheers!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.