Focal 926 - How to Access

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, My Focal Electra 926 have developed a problem and I need to check the crossovers. Only problem is that I can not work out how to disassemble them without the use of a saw.
Has any body here had experience and can point me in the right direction.

Attachments

• electra.jpg
    electra.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 296
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
That sounds unusual. Caps (talking of electrolytics generally) usually bulge because of external causes such as a high DC voltage being applied. If that were the case then you would have been aware of other issues though.

I wouldn't like to second guess this tbh.

Edit... and remember electrolytics in crossovers are non polarised types.

+1 Ralph. Focal often installs crossovers through a woofer slot. Hope you have a long Philips screwdriver! :)

Mundorf MKP is a much better sounding cap than Focal's OEM brand, inexpensive and about the same physical size.

It IS important that you measure DC first though! :) Any multimeter will do this. Just measure the voltage on your amp outputs using DC and make sure the result is less than 0.5V.

Best,

E

So as well as one of the caps going on one of the crossovers I also have 2 dead tweeters and 1 dud midrange. I am no expert on speakers, to say the least, so if somebody would be so kind as to recommend replacements for me to use then I would appreciate that.

Here are the links with specs to the original drive units. My goal would be to at least equal the original sound quality but if it can be improved then I would be prepared to invest in that.

Tweeter
Focal Tc120td5 20mm Tioxid Dome Tweeter

midbass
Focal 6w4311b 6-1/2" Shielded "w" Cone Midbass

thanks in advance.

Edit: I actually have the version of the tweeter with the smaller face plate 91.95mm or 3 5/8 inches

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hopefully you will get these up and running but I think you need to look at what has caused the original problem initially. A popped cap on a crossover is very very rare and possibly suggests some external problem with the amplifier that was used at the time.

I'm afraid I've no idea on what speakers would be suitable... but there are probably many on here would have an idea. If you get no replies to this question then it might be worth a new separate thread to ask as the information you need now is totally different to the thread title.

Hopefully you will get these up and running but I think you need to look at what has caused the original problem initially. A popped cap on a crossover is very very rare and possibly suggests some external problem with the amplifier that was used at the time.

I'm afraid I've no idea on what speakers would be suitable... but there are probably many on here would have an idea. If you get no replies to this question then it might be worth a new separate thread to ask as the information you need now is totally different to the thread title.

Ok thanks, I would love to know what happened as well. I drive these via two mono amps class D. I was watching TV over christmas at normal volume, not loud and then all of sudden sound goes rubbish. No bang or abnormal noise, nothing.
Result one speaker blow 72 micro farad 63V blown and tweeter gone. The other crossover fine (tested all caps and ESR in range) but tweeter and mid range gone.

I have been driving these speakers with these amps for at least 8 years.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Class D involves lots of high frequency energy (which should be filtered out of course by the amplifier output network) that has the potential to do this kind of damage.

I wouldn't begin to second guess what might have happened here, only that the evidence suggests something did occur. The amp would need more detailed investigation such as looking at the output on an oscilloscope to see just what is present.

Also, Focal uses large electrolytics sometimes to reduce the impedance. If you see anything over 47uF in there, it is worth rethinking.

They will use the second pole of a LP filter to make up for deficiencies in the first pole (coil), leading to unnecessarily low mid-bass impedance. This is a gimmick. If you see this, totally worth fixing.

Best,

E

I want to upgrade my klipsch crossovers, but the foil caps are very expensive.

I remember Tony aka Wintermute mentioning Axon caps being reasonably affordable and now that I've looked it follows like this:

Erse Audio, Polyester type PeX 15uF, 250V = $3.57
Parts Connection, Axon 16 uF, 250V = $ 3.7
PE, Audyn Q4 15 uF, 400V =$ 5.23

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.