How long does it take to "design" a speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't know if this is as easy as to say this speaker sounds good and the other sound bad. I have listened to brand speakers that sound totally different. I have my preferences an my friends their. My point is I assume good brand speakers should be well designed and evaluated. Let say Kef, Mission, Epos, Canton, to mention some brands, all have the resources to design speakers, so why do they sound different ??? Not everybody chose or prefer the same speaker when you listen to a demo. Even trying them with the same electronic and sources, they sound different. If the final word about how an speaker sounds is the result of good electrical and acoustic measurements, most of the well designed speakers have to be considered goods. Tannoy has its signature sound, JBL his too, as well as vintage Altec, and many other brands. It is hard to say if one of them is a bad sounding speaker or if one of them is the absolute winner, but they are there to satisfy different preferences. If you design one and you are happy with the sound, it is a success. Why someone could last two years to reach this point ?? I think this is exaggerated.

Last edited:
I think you're trying to avoid the subject since this is online so you could afford to. It's really simple. If it takes two years then simple division gives you the answer. That is unless as I said before if you're trying to avoid the subject.

I'm not actually trying to avoid anything. You are making it too simplistic and schematic and i just enjoy how much emotions you are investing into making others to share your attitude that this guy who made his speakers for 2 years is incompetent.

Last edited:
I'm not actually trying to avoid anything. You are making it too simplistic and schematic and i just enjoy how much emotions you are investing into making others to share your attitude that this guy who made his speakers for 2 years is incompetent.

Actually I don't care for the guy. I was only using it as an example unfortunately. Kind of interesting that you "enjoy". That is very odd.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
...I have listened to brand speakers that sound totally different... so why do they sound different ???

The art of speaker design is the choice of compromises. Even the very best speakers (where budget is less of a concern) are still a long way from “perfect” and different sets of compromises can lead to equally valid loudspeakers that sound quite different, work with different amplifiers, are best suited for different rooms… and more.

dave

The art of speaker design is the choice of compromises. Even the very best speakers (where budget is less of a concern) are still a long way from “perfect” and different sets of compromises can lead to equally valid loudspeakers that sound quite different, work with different amplifiers, are best suited for different rooms… and more.

dave

Some are more compromised than others. Some are designed with "intentional compromise". Some are designed by the marketing department with even more compromise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.