Opinions on Pairing Satori MW19PNW-8/AMTPRO-4?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Hey There!
I just purchased a couple of AMTPRO-4s on sale from Parts Express and I'm looking for drivers to pair them with. My thought is a two-way with the Satori MW19PNW to keep it simple. Crossover would be an LR2@1500hz on both the low pass and hi pass.

Would this be a good pairing? Is 1500hz too low? Too high? The MW19PNW dips about 2db around 1200hz. Does that rule out this pair? Or, would I need a different x-over point, or can I work with the dip electrically to smooth it out?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• FR_Satori MW19PNW-8.jpg
    FR_Satori MW19PNW-8.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 721
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Look at the on-axis and 30 deg horizontally FR of the amtpro-4 tweeter. I'd cross this tweeter earliest at 2.5 kHz.

It does look like that from the FRD/ZMA files Parts Express provides for the AMTPRO-4. Comments on their website indicate that these are being used down to 1500hz, although further comments do suggest 2K-2.5K.

So, if I had to set my x-over point to 2K-2.5K, would you think this Satori driver could handle it, or is there a different 8" high-end-ish driver you know is capable of being crossed at those points?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Hi, the satori is good for it even though it may need a little more complicated filter as the simulatation illustrates.

I appreciate your help. I think then I will take a chance on that driver. I will use OmniMic and DATS to measure the drivers before building anything, however how did you do your simulation? Do you happen to have FRD/ZMA files for that Satori to share?

Expert designer Troels Gavesen built the MW19 Studio Monitor using the MW19P-8 and selected an LR4 circuit at 1700Hz for the crossover.

"The MW19P-8 midbass driver used here is a rather large driver having a radiating area of 158 cm^2, a little bigger than the ScanSpeak 18WU drivers. Due to size of the midbass we need a low point of crossover to the tweeter ... Here we go with a point of crossover at 1700 Hz providing the best possible frequency response and we use an LR4 filter (circuit) providing some added presence in upper mid/lower treble despite the large cone area of the midbass. By using a steep filter we reduce the "echo" of the midbass beaming. "

====
I use passive LR4/LR4 cricuits at 1650Hz with the MW19P-4 midbass and SB29RDC-04 dome for TV/desk speakers.

Hey There!
I just purchased a couple of AMTPRO-4s on sale from Parts Express and I'm looking for drivers to pair them with. My thought is a two-way with the Satori MW19PNW to keep it simple. Crossover would be an LR2@1500hz on both the low pass and hi pass.

Would this be a good pairing? Is 1500hz too low? Too high? The MW19PNW dips about 2db around 1200hz. Does that rule out this pair? Or, would I need a different x-over point, or can I work with the dip electrically to smooth it out?

Thanks in advance

The AMTPRO-4 frequency response makes it less than ideal about 10kHz. I attached a measurement I took on a unit that I own, in free air. It might be possible to EQ the response so that you get a smooth transition between the mid-passband level of (on my plot) 105dB and the near 10kHz response level of 100dB - you might want to EQ out the "hump" around 10kHz or it could sound fatiguing. I would probably try this approach with an active DSP crossover, however, because you might need to combine several EQ bands to get it right.

The AMPPRO-4 also has a rather "tall" diaphragm for a tweeter. The size of the diaphragm is especially a problem in the vertical plane, where the response pattern starts to narrow starting at 4kHz. You can use it as low as 1.5-1.8kHz (it will need a back enclosure). If you add a small dome tweeter (e.g. Ox20?) crossed over at 5-7kHz you will get better overall performance from 5kHz to 20kHz.

On the plus side, the distortion signature is pretty clean and efficiency is high. It's a good driver when used in a way that minimizes some of the response issues.

Note: If you have advanced hearing loss you might not notice the issues above 5kHz I mentioned since these are getting near the edge of your ability.

Attachments

• Dayton AMTPRO-4 0-11-22-33-44-55-67-78-90deg 16in front.PNG
    Dayton AMTPRO-4 0-11-22-33-44-55-67-78-90deg 16in front.PNG
    41.3 KB · Views: 410
Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Expert designer Troels Gavesen built the MW19 Studio Monitor using the MW19P-8 and selected an LR4 circuit at 1700Hz for the crossover.

"The MW19P-8 midbass driver used here is a rather large driver having a radiating area of 158 cm^2, a little bigger than the ScanSpeak 18WU drivers. Due to size of the midbass we need a low point of crossover to the tweeter ... Here we go with a point of crossover at 1700 Hz providing the best possible frequency response and we use an LR4 filter (circuit) providing some added presence in upper mid/lower treble despite the large cone area of the midbass. By using a steep filter we reduce the "echo" of the midbass beaming. "

====
I use passive LR4/LR4 cricuits at 1650Hz with the MW19P-4 midbass and SB29RDC-04 dome for TV/desk speakers.

Thanks for finding this, I checked out the build on Troels Gavesen's website. If the AMTPRO-4 doesn't work out, I may end up with a Satori tweeter instead. Too bad the component values of the crossover aren't listed.