Best waveguide under 17.75x6.75" mouth for The Selenium D220Ti

What is the best sounding waveguide/horn with a mouth under 6.75x17.75"? I am going to use it in a two-way with a 15" woofer and the closest distance it will be from the edge of the woofer is 2". The 15" is tuned to 65hz and can play up quite high but I do not want it to beam. So the ideal waveguide/horn will allow the driver to play down to the woofers upper end beaming frequency with 2" from the center of the surround and up to at most 20khz (but less would be acceptable, such as 17khz) This is the 8 ohm version.

Last edited:
What is the best sounding waveguide/horn with a mouth under 6.75x17.75"? I am going to use it in a two-way with a 15" woofer and the closest distance it will be from the edge of the woofer is 2". The 15" is tuned to 65hz and can play up quite high but I do not want it to beam. So the ideal waveguide/horn will allow the driver to play down to the woofers upper end beaming frequency with 2" from the center of the surround and up to at most 20khz (but less would be acceptable, such as 17khz) This is the 8 ohm version.

Hello.
Best sounding is pointless. you should specify the dispersion that you are looking for.

No, it's not pointless because that's all I'm looking for along with something to fit in that size. I don't want high order modes, I want the horn to do it's job. You have to understand that many drivers that fit the same waveguide but do not sound the same, and can vary in the extreme. This is because almost every compression driver has a different distance and rate of expansion from the diaphragm to the exit. Perhaps I should be asking what's on the inside of the D220Ti.

Last edited:
There are several years of EconoWave discussions involving the 1" Selenium D220Ti and different horns + midbass. There is data plus listening tests which prove that getting decent sound from the Selenium D22Ti 1" compression driver with a 15" midbass is difficult. A 12" midbass with a 1200-1300Hz crossover using the SEOS12 or SEOS15 is the common choice.

Remember, for controlled directivity through the crossover frequency, you want the polar pattern of the midbass to match the polar pattern of the horn. So, start by reviewing the polar pattern and any cone breakup distortion of your 15" midbass at 1000Hz, the lowest usable frequency for the D220Ti. YEP, very difficult with a 15" midbass.

No, it's not pointless because that's all I'm looking for along with something to fit in that size. I don't want high order modes, I want the horn to do it's job. You have to understand that many drivers that fit the same waveguide but do not sound the same, and can vary in the extreme. This is because almost every compression driver has a different distance and rate of expansion from the diaphragm to the exist. Perhaps I should be asking what's on the inside of the D220Ti.

Sorry, i probably should not say it like it, i'm always have in mind that the listening distance is the most critical parameter with horns and the "best" horn is not always the best choice.
i've recently read that the theorical that the pistonic beamng of a 15' driver is 1052Hz.

I've verified it with a 10', the theorical beaming is at 1700Hz
Nothing seems to beat the physics.
(0°-6°-12°-18°-30°)

The venerable QSC waveguide (no longer available) is awesome. This one: B-52 PHRN-1014 1" Horn 10" x 14" Bolt-On appears to be identical. It should unload at around 1050Hz. The PH612 should unload at around 1400Hz, so if you plan on mating this with a 15" woofer you might prefer the larger waveguide.

That does look like a QSC clone, and if so is one heck of a nice waveguide. (It isn't, btw, in any way an "exponential horn" as it says in the listing! It's a conical with an oblate-spheroid-like throat). Years ago I made a 2-way with the bolt-on D220Ti and a Large Advent woofer -- it was one of my favorite speakers, still in use at my son's house. It sounded a LOT better to me than the original Econowave (JBL designed) horn, not sure if that had to do with the bolt-on driver vs. the screw-on one of the JBL. The QSC horn also works really well with that Tymphany driver mentioned elsewhere in this thread (I'd toss your screw-on Seleniums in the bin and get a couple of the Tymphany's if I were you..... but then I hate screw-on compression drivers because of that inherent straight pipe section).

I have several of the QSC clones here, for whatever reason, but I'm still tempted to pick up some more of these buyouts "just because".

Last edited:
I am a huge proponent of the Econowave and the Selenium is a proven winner on the JBL/Pyle wave guide. If you build that, you will be pleased.

First, Wayne Parham uses a 15" 2226 to meet the HF element. It has slam and mid range that is true to the source material. A 15 to a 1 inch works. Now...

keeping that thought in mind, the econowave loses nothing if you're using a good 15" mid/woof. The econowave features an asymmetrical crossover. The mid/woof has to play well up to about 1200 but the crossover to the horn is much higher. The mid/woof signal is decaying while the horn/CD is coming in. The crossover acoustical point is around 1360 while the electrical crossover points for each driver are different - but they blend well in the middle frequencies. Beam width on both drivers is very close at the actual crossover point.

There are then avenues open to upgrade as you see in various places, but the crossover and the concept are proven as demonstrated by the number of these that were, and are, being built.

That being said, if this is your first build, or first horn build - try it. You have the parts and it fits your requirements.