Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Best waveguide under 17.75x6.75" mouth for The Selenium D220Ti
Best waveguide under 17.75x6.75" mouth for The Selenium D220Ti
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th June 2018, 04:31 AM   #71
federico moreno is offline federico moreno  Argentina
diyAudio Member

China PRO Speakers with Hf Horn Hot Selling 260*215*126 1" (039A) - China PRO Speakers, Hf Horn
Old 20th June 2018, 06:42 AM   #72
Rational35 is offline Rational35  Canada
diyAudio Member

I was looking at those, not so sure how I feel about the diffraction throat in the XT-1086 and its clones, though... they also offer a smaller elliptical horn which looks a lot like the EOS-6 that Erich at DIYSoundGroup was selling: China Loudspeaker Horn for Tweeter Hot Selling 165L*135W*60h 1" (019A) - China Loudspeaker, Horn

I've been trying to buy some EOS-6 and EOS-8 from Erich. He says he still has some cases of them *somewhere* but can't find them just now...

I'm looking for tweeter horns, pattern control down to 2.0-2.5kHz will do. Federico, how was your experience (ease of transaction) dealing with this Chinese supplier?

Thanks for your comments.
-Peter
Old 20th June 2018, 07:09 AM   #73
hollowboy is offline hollowboy  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rational35 View Post
they also offer a smaller elliptical horn which looks a lot like the EOS-6 [...]
I've been trying to buy some EOS-6 and EOS-8 from Erich. He says he still has some cases of them *somewhere* but can't find them just now...
Maybe the p-audio PH-170?

Available for about $10 each, but not in Australia
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ph-170-1.jpg (215.1 KB, 174 views)
Old 20th June 2018, 07:26 AM   #74
Rational35 is offline Rational35  Canada
diyAudio Member

Those look interesting, but there's no p-audio distributor in Canada, and sometimes it's way easier for me to order stuff from China than it is to order from the U.S.A... go figure
Old 20th June 2018, 10:00 AM   #75
arcgotic is offline arcgotic  Romania
diyAudio Member

I had the PH-170, I used it with BMS4524 and B&C DE250.
The sound is not OK. I don't have measurements now, but trust me.

This one is very good above 2k:
Eighteensound XT 120 – Thomann UK
Old 20th June 2018, 02:01 PM   #76
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rational35 View Post
I was looking at those, not so sure how I feel about the diffraction throat in the XT-1086 and its clones, though... they also offer a smaller elliptical horn which looks a lot like the EOS-6 that Erich at DIYSoundGroup was selling: China Loudspeaker Horn for Tweeter Hot Selling 165L*135W*60h 1" (019A) - China Loudspeaker, Horn

I'm looking for tweeter horns, pattern control down to 2.0-2.5kHz will do. Federico, how was your experience (ease of transaction) dealing with this Chinese supplier?

Thanks for your comments.
-Peter
Hi Peter; Did not have to deal with the chinese manufacturer, because somebody imported (to Argentina) some of this horns and I bought them via the local ebay (`mercado libre` is the name here). Build quality is very good (the polyuretane is heavy and non resonant; the throat is exactly rounded, nothing to file or sand.
Concerning the oval difraction slot, it`s not very obtrusive, at least at normal SPL`s. I haven`t taken polars, but subjectively, and mostly nearfield, I have noticed some `detectability`of high treble emanating from the horn, at some 45/50 degrees off axis . I mean, some faint uneven off axis `sparkle` that is position dependent at 1 m from horn-, but which dissapears at 2/3 m-.
Anyway, sound is extremely detailed, with nice delineation of voices and very dynamic rendition of percussive sounds and transients. The aural signature (at least in a modestly sized room, 2/3 meters from horn) is akin to listening to very good quality headphones. Perhaps, because of the absence of reflections. In my space doesn`t sound harsh, neither shouty or `mechanic`.
Cheers.
Old 20th June 2018, 02:26 PM   #77
diyAudio Member

Digression concerning crossovers:
From the beginning, some years ago, for compensation I did very simple `derated` 12 dB/oct crossovers, la JBL L200t3, with some padding. Waveguides were some 6 inches round, or butt cheek style, and even some 18sound xt120.
With that style of crossover, the sound was detailed, integrated and with excellent `projection` of treble and high mids.
Later, I turned to crossovers la Wayne Parnham or Zilch (quasi textbook, but with fixed pad and a parallel capacitor to taylor eq and driver behaviour).
I don`t know how I managed to spoil them, but with the later kind of x`overs I detected some shouting, namely some kind of `PA` style sound, even in a round, very shallow 6" waveguide. Perhaps the horns weren`t loading accordingly, or perhaps I was someway upsetting the driver... don`t know.
Later on, I returned to the simple crossovers to regain that lost ease of sound.
I don`t mean that more complex crossovers are bad per se; I think that I don`t have the instruments to tune them adequately. Did a lot of parts substitution, etc; the usual stuff, but the simple crossovers followed by a variable Lpad always sounded better.
Old 20th June 2018, 03:47 PM   #78
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes, I like it very much; sounds very good from 2/3 kHz up to 15kHz on axis but directivity is notorious, even for non-trained ears. The high midrange sweet spot is relatively ample, but with some loss of HF in the 8/15 kHz range: it sounds more integrated on a restricted axis.
Anyway, I don`t care a lot about constant directivity as a holy grail (personal view), and between practical limits I can live with some directional aberrations.

Last edited by federico moreno; 20th June 2018 at 04:01 PM.
Old 21st June 2018, 04:26 AM   #79
hollowboy is offline hollowboy  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcgotic View Post
Interesting, thanks.

I had wondered if it'd be good for use with dome tweeters, like the shallow waveguides shown on this site:

Hochtoner mit Waveguide – Heissmann Acoustics
Old 21st June 2018, 07:58 PM   #80
silverprout is offline silverprout  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcgotic View Post

Hello
The PH170 is a waveguide and the XT120 is a horn...

Best waveguide under 17.75x6.75" mouth for The Selenium D220TiHide this!Advertise here!