Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Minimus pro7 enclosure ideas?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd January 2018, 02:18 PM   #1
tamahaac is offline tamahaac  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Minimus pro7 enclosure ideas?

Hey everybody! I picked up these OPTIMUS pro 7s at a local goodwill for $9 and was thinking they would make great enclosures for a "new" speaker(s) to go left and right of my TV and mate with a sub. And maybe migrate to the office when, I no doubt, will be compelled to build more speakers
IDs: 4.25"w, 7"h, 3.5"d
ODs: 4 7/16"w, 7 1/8"h, 4 1/8"d, 1.7 liters, or .06 cubic feet.
Existing baffle: woofer cut out is 3 9/16", tweeter is an oval 3 1/4"w x 2 3/8"h
Room is 23'x21', area to cover (open floor plan) is ~ 12'w x to listening position of 12'6" (open cavity behind of 8' x 12'w).
I would like to target <100hz, lower the better.
I have on hand: 2 x tc9fd-8, and 2 x nd90-8 (neither ideal by my accounting). As well two voxel subs, or one mid tier 8".
I am capable of adhering a wood baffle over the existing cut outs (I could even angle grind them out completely) and start fresh. I believe I could accommodate a 4" driver.

I am open to suggestions for a two way or fr. I've posted in this subsection so I am leaning towards a multi.

The helium seems like a good fit here, but I was wondering if there is a 4" woofer that would go "low" in the enclosure described above. The best driver I could come up with is the nd91. Any thoughts about 3-4" candidates?

Budget is flexible. Amplification will most likely be based on what is suggested here.

Thanks to all who take time to read this.

Last edited by tamahaac; 3rd January 2018 at 05:09 PM.
Old 2nd January 2018, 03:09 PM   #2
ernperkins is offline ernperkins  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't think any driver will go "low" in such a small, sealed enclosure. I think an F3 above 100 Hz is what should be expected. The ND91 looks like it will work if the screw holes match the enclosure. I've used the Dayton CF120 as a woofer - the screw holes do match up, but you need to slightly enlarge the woofer cutout so the speaker terminal tab will drop through.

Also - Ben (wolf_teeth on this forum) used a PRV 4MR60-4 woofer in his revamp. Here's a LINK to his write up.
Old 2nd January 2018, 03:18 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I've scoured the web for revamps and never came across the one by Wolf. Thanks sir!
I don't need a direct replacement, as I can create my own baffle. The only limitation I see is the enclosure size.
Old 3rd January 2018, 09:54 AM   #4
wolf_teeth is offline wolf_teeth  United States
diyAudio Member

Unfortunately, P'Bucket killed the photos embedded. If you want more info, just ask!
They are still at my bucket linked in my sig, but I cannot link to forum anymore.
I can upload whatever you want to this thread if necessary.

Also- I see you are in Indy! I'm just north of Ft. Wayne...

Later,
Wolf

Ed- thanks for the referral!
Old 3rd January 2018, 01:02 PM   #5
midrange is offline midrange  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Are the original drivers not working?
Old 3rd January 2018, 01:28 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hey Wolf, thanks for the the offer. That would be great if I could get a little more info. Ft. Wayne, all right! I'm hoping to attend the INdiyana event this year. I was pretty excited when I stumbled upon it's happening. Very new to this, but I've got the bug....it helps that I've had two successful first builds.

Midrange- the drivers are working, but are not pleasing to ear. Little to no bass presence, congested and inarticulate midrange. The highs are totally acceptable. Maybe even good, however within the context of the "whole" I wasn't compelled to listen intently.

Jake
Old 3rd January 2018, 04:51 PM   #7
midrange is offline midrange  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I can find no Minimus pro 7. There is an Optimus Pro 7. There is a surprisingly large amount of stuff on the internet about the Minimus 7 in particular. There are those who think they have potential, for what they are.

I have a pair of Japanese made Minimus 7s. At moderate levels especially for the spoken voice I think they are quite good. They need to be hard up against the rear wall, to get any balance at all and even then no bass really.

I would be surprised if a 4" unit could be made to work in a cabinet that size. A 3" with a port might be feasible.
Old 3rd January 2018, 05:05 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midrange View Post
I can find no Minimus pro 7. There is an Optimus Pro 7.
You are right Sir. These are in fact Optimus Pro7s. I made a mistake. I believe the enclosure is the same. The only difference is the inclusion of a port (ID 3/4" x 2 3/4"L). These would have been made around 1994. sorry for the confusion.

Jake
Old 4th January 2018, 02:07 AM   #9
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midrange View Post
I have a pair of Japanese made Minimus 7s. At moderate levels especially for the spoken voice I think they are quite good. They need to be hard up against the rear wall, to get any balance at all and even then no bass really.
Indeed! Got the same driven with an ancient Sony amp to replace the pitiful speakers in a 65" Panasonic. Some neighbors were really surprised how good they sounded watching Joe Bonamassa Live at Carnegie Hall: An acoustic Evening.

GM
Old 4th January 2018, 09:43 AM   #10
wolf_teeth is offline wolf_teeth  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamahaac View Post
Hey Wolf, thanks for the the offer. That would be great if I could get a little more info. Ft. Wayne, all right! I'm hoping to attend the INdiyana event this year. I was pretty excited when I stumbled upon it's happening. Very new to this, but I've got the bug....it helps that I've had two successful first builds.
Jake
If you didn't know- I'm the host for that InDIYana shindig, and I've put it on annually since 2009, with the 2 previous years (07/08) being in Richmond.

I've attached the relevant data for my Synchaetas. I built mine from wood paneling and some countertop 3/4" PB + Formica. The baffle and rear are thicker, and the sides thin to approximate the Min7 cabinets. The volume is about 2 ltrs in both cases. While they can take a lot of juice in these small volumes, the sensitivity is pretty high for a speaker of this size, and the bass will likely prefer use with a subwoofer. Measured response matched that of the sim rather nicely.

Later,
Wolf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0002.JPG (86.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg PRV-2ltrSealed8W.jpg (115.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Sync.jpg (50.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: png Synchaeta xover board for Min7.png (24.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg SynchaetaSim2Xover.jpg (117.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg SynchSim2-real.jpg (139.8 KB, 14 views)

Minimus pro7 enclosure ideas?Hide this!Advertise here!