Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Hiquphon OW1's big brother ?
Hiquphon OW1's big brother ?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st January 2018, 04:55 PM   #1
Flaxxer is offline Flaxxer  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Hiquphon OW1's big brother ?

I really love the HIQ OW1, but wish it were just a little more dynamic ( could play louder). Just wondering if there are other tweeters with that level of "airiness", but with a bit more dynamics ? The Hiq seems a bit delicate sounding to me, when compared to some other large format tweeters.
Old 1st January 2018, 05:24 PM   #2
peterbrorsson is offline peterbrorsson  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Try this one,
Wavecor TW030WA11
Price in Strassacker 90 Euro and can be crossed around 1.2kHz.

I have listened to this one Strassacker: Lautsprecherbausätze (Lautsprecherboxen-Bausätze) und Lautsprecherlösungen

Although, I believe that domes sound the same if run in their comfort zone and have the same response......
Old 1st January 2018, 07:37 PM   #3
twinter is offline twinter  United States
diyAudio Member

The Hiquphon OW2,3,4, & 5 are rated 2 to 3 dB higher efficiency than the OW1. Does that allow sufficient dynamics?
Old 1st January 2018, 10:48 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinter View Post
The Hiquphon OW2,3,4, & 5 are rated 2 to 3 dB higher efficiency than the OW1. Does that allow sufficient dynamics?
I do not see those for sale. The OW1 is available.
Old 2nd January 2018, 01:03 AM   #5
Patrick Bateman is offline Patrick Bateman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaxxer View Post
I really love the HIQ OW1, but wish it were just a little more dynamic ( could play louder). Just wondering if there are other tweeters with that level of "airiness", but with a bit more dynamics ? The Hiq seems a bit delicate sounding to me, when compared to some other large format tweeters.
Put it on a waveguide. It's trivial to raise the output by 10dB or even more on a good waveguide.

I do a lot of projects with the "lowly" SB Acoustics SB19, and I'm constantly astounded by the fact that this cheap 3/4" tweeter is a giant killer on a waveguide. Basically there are $100 tweeters that can sound very dynamic and clean on a flat baffle, but stick the SB19 on a waveguide and it will crush all of them. And it might be tempting to put a 1" tweeter on a waveguide, but that doesn't work so hot, the larger diaphragm creates peaks and dips above 10khz.

3/4" tweeters on waveguides are tough to beat.
Old 2nd January 2018, 01:21 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
Put it on a waveguide. It's trivial to raise the output by 10dB or even more on a good waveguide.

I do a lot of projects with the "lowly" SB Acoustics SB19, and I'm constantly astounded by the fact that this cheap 3/4" tweeter is a giant killer on a waveguide. Basically there are $100 tweeters that can sound very dynamic and clean on a flat baffle, but stick the SB19 on a waveguide and it will crush all of them. And it might be tempting to put a 1" tweeter on a waveguide, but that doesn't work so hot, the larger diaphragm creates peaks and dips above 10khz.

Your response is like a late Xmas present. Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 04:37 AM   #7
johnego is offline johnego  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Good is subjective.

Waveguides may add 95% benefit and 5% drawback. For "lowly" tweeters, the 95% is more important than the 5% (its a nothing to loose upgrade). For "better" tweeters the 5% (or even 1% drawback) may be a big issue.

NOTE: I would say that the 95% is an increase in usability. The 5% is a reduction in quality. Change it to 99% versus 1%, it doesn't change the point.
Old 2nd January 2018, 01:22 PM   #8
jholtz is offline jholtz  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaxxer View Post
I do not see those for sale. The OW1 is available.
Ellis Audio is the USA distributor and has other models available for purchase.

Hiquphon Tweeters

Dave is true gentleman and a pleasure to do business with.

HTH

Jim
Old 2nd January 2018, 11:46 PM   #9
ific is offline ific  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Patrick, which waveguide are you using?
Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 03:13 AM   #10
hollowboy is offline hollowboy  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
And it might be tempting to put a 1" tweeter on a waveguide, but that doesn't work so hot, the larger diaphragm creates peaks and dips above 10khz.
These tests look good, and indicate that some 1" drivers work nicely > 10kHz:

Hochtoner mit Waveguide – Heissmann Acoustics

Hiquphon OW1's big brother ?Hide this!Advertise here!