Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Coaxial Speaker Build Thread with FaitalPro 6HX150
Coaxial Speaker Build Thread with FaitalPro 6HX150
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th February 2018, 06:41 PM   #71
JShadzi is online now JShadzi  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaxxer
Okay. Now I have read the entire thread. I am so thankful for amazing build threads like these! I learned a lot from your innovative wood working solutions. Your skills, and tools are just amazing! I have seen your builds on Youtube, and have a couple of them bookmarked, and this is before I even knew you posted on here. Glad to have found you, and look forward to more of your amazing work!

So glad you’ve enjoyed and appreciated this documentation, it’s a lot of extra work but totally worth it when people like you find enjoyment in it. =)
Old 5th February 2018, 05:45 AM   #72
diyAudio Member

Got the crossovers finalized and tested today, I ended up tweaking the lpad once I had components soldered in place on the board.

Click the image to open in full size.

I increased R1 to 2 ohms and R3 to 5.6 to get response back to where I wanted it.

Basic layout

And loaded up input and output leads

Woofer spade terminals

Mid push terminals

Binding post input leads

Thanks!
Javad
Old Today, 12:29 AM   #73
diyAudio Member

Sorry for the length between posts, been getting a lot done! Here’s where things start, enclosures stripped back down and ready to finish. I did a final pass with 220 to perfectly smooth things out and get a fresh layer of wood. Glad I did too as in the month or so since the last glue up a few seams crept settling a little (like maybe 1/100th” and I got a chance to smooth them back out.

I’ve never used it but been hearing good things about Rubio Monocoat. It’s an oil finish with a catalizer that reacts with the oil and creates a hard finish that bonds at a molecular level to the wood fibers. It initially came out for hardwood floors which gave me confidence to use it on speakers, and I was looking for a matte finish like with Danish oil but something a little more advanced and durable.

You simply mix the two and wipe it on sparingly (no need to flood the surface), then wipe it lightly 3-5 minutes later, then let it cure for 3 days, super easy and idiot proof. And man does that grain pop!

After curing for 4 days I began final assembly, more to come!

Javad
Old Today, 01:59 AM   #74
diyAudio Member

Before final assembly I played around with the crossover one last time (for now lols), my one sticking point after extensive listening was a lack of detail and top end response, I rolled off the top of the tweeter to deal with the hump at 2800 but this rolled off 5k more than I wanted to, so I experimented with some inductors across R2 and a .025mh brought up response above 5k nicely and brought that air and detail back that I felt was missing

I heat test all my crossovers and found the temp of the mid lpad resistors was getting to about 105F after extended play at peak volume, some heat sinks brought that right down to a max of 80F (in a 70F room) which I was very comfortable with. Heat sinks attached with heat sink glue

Crossover boards installed with stapled adhesive Velcro and a single screw to secure it

Internal wires for one enclosure, each binding post connects separately to the crossover board circuit for that driver.

Woofer terminals

Black 3M strip calk to seal wires passing into the mid enclosure, works and seals very well and is serviceable if needed

Wiring buttoned up

Binding post holes

Installed

Solid 3/16” 99.999% copper rod, cut to 2.75” length and ends rounded

Ready for gold plating

Gold plated

Installed

All buttoned up and lots of listening to do!

Will do a nice photo shoot and post pics next week

Thanks!
Javad
Old Today, 02:37 AM   #75
mlee is offline mlee  Canada
diyAudio Member

Wow! Absolutely stunning! Thanks for posting this.
Old Today, 03:39 AM   #76
audioaficionado is offline audioaficionado  United States
diyAudio Member

Wow! Excellent craftsmanship Javad. Those resistors must dissipate a lot of power to need heat sinking. What did you use as the thermal interface material to glue them on?

How does the passive XO sound compared to the active XO?

~Steve
Old Today, 03:44 AM   #77
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee
Wow! Absolutely stunning! Thanks for posting this.

Thanks for following along!
Old Today, 03:49 AM   #78
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioaficionado
Wow! Excellent craftsmanship Javad. Those resistors must dissipate a lot of power to need heat sinking. What did you use as the thermal interface material to glue them on?
I can model how much heat they’re dissipating but yes the mids receive a bulk if the content compares to the tweeters so they see more power, they were nowhere near failing mind you but just to be safe since they’re 10w resistors. As stated above heat sink glue see Amazon.com: 10g Thermal Conductive Silicone Plaster Viscous Adhesive Compound Cooling Glue For LED GPU Chipset Heatsink: Computers & Accessories

Quote:
How does the passive XO sound compared to the active XO?

Good. Same basic sound, on the active I can smooth out some of the response variations in the 1-4K range so they’re a little less bright and lively in active, but I was extremely pleased how close I got them to the ruler flat active response with the passive.

I think I’ll take them to The Parts Express MWAF this July as fully active as I’d like to enter them in that section.

Thanks!
Javad

Coaxial Speaker Build Thread with FaitalPro 6HX150Hide this!Advertise here!