Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

GPA 604 adventures
GPA 604 adventures
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st December 2017, 06:48 AM   #21
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Yeah, I've been hoping one of the locals with a duplex would be a 'guinea pig', but no luck. I figure if anything will sound good in a K15 that would be it, because for sure the big whizzer cone EV was unlistenable 'fullrange'.

Made a great corner 'sub' with the EV on a small OB though. The XO was something Jack built from Popular Electronics and the rest of the electronics was gutted from a '30s era Sears Silvertone console made by RCA.

GM
Old 31st December 2017, 10:54 AM   #22
c_door is offline c_door  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineSource View Post
Jean Hiraga's personal explanation of his Altec 604-alnico cabinet construction draws-out like putting large Onken style ports on the bottom of the cabinet.

====SUMMARY...
Great info here, I'll treasure them!

About Karlsons, I've never had the chance to hear one.
What about imaging? With the speaker so low, I'm expecting dwarfish singers and players, as for my current OB panel.
Old 8th January 2018, 10:22 PM   #23
LineSource is offline LineSource  United States
diyAudio Member

604 MLTL cabinet discussed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 604 cabinets.jpg (176.2 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg 58in cut sheet.jpg (231.3 KB, 198 views)
Old 9th January 2018, 02:11 AM   #24
plasnu is offline plasnu  United States
diyAudio Member

One of my speaker is UREI 813C, a 604 variant, made by JBL for pro market, and I guess it is one of the closest cousin of the GPA 604 8H. It has an additional 15" woofer for the bass in a huge enclosure. I tried many different configuration with this unit, including OB, active crossover / multi amps, but I currently use original JBL / UREI configuration with some digital EQ added.

It is not as accurate nor extended as today's good speakers whatever I tired (and you may have already noticed), but it has own charms. I love them. The midrange can be really good, but if one tries to extend the bass and treble for flatter response from 30-20K, the midrange magic should be gone, IMO. I prefer to hear it with less extended FR, respecting intrinsic nature of the vintage Altec design, even they are one of the largest speakers in my house.
Old 9th January 2018, 05:24 AM   #25
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_door View Post
What about imaging? With the speaker so low, I'm expecting dwarfish singers and players, as for my current OB panel.
It has a very wide horizontal power response, so lots of overlap in a typical size room to the point where they ideally need to be on the long wall. Anyway, IIRC Freddy has done some polars.

Not quite as bad as you might think due to floor loading, no floor 'bounce', but notice in a recording studio: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....LL._SY445_.jpg

GM
Old 9th January 2018, 07:21 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

As an additional info, on my GPA 604 II the small horn doesn't extend beyond the woofer basket. It is flush to it, thus allowing a normal front grill.
About the Karlson pictured with Johnny Cash, yes, just raise it if image is low. Doh
Old 10th January 2018, 08:26 PM   #27
Adhoc1 is offline Adhoc1
diyAudio Member

It is the same with my Altec Lansing 604-8K, -the edge of the Mantaray horn is exactly flush with the outer rubber gasket on the basket. (That gasket is about 7 mm thick, if it was removed the horn would protrude 7 mm versus the woofer basket.)
Old 12th January 2018, 02:19 PM   #28
jpak is offline jpak  United States
diyAudio Member

Sorry for the off top question, that is a beautiful case on your F5, do you mind saying where you got it? Thanks.
Old 12th January 2018, 08:43 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

jpak,
actually, there is no case at all. A couple heatsinks linked together by two u-shaped aluminum bars.
Please find the description here: Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier
Old 13th January 2018, 01:16 AM   #30
jpak is offline jpak  United States
diyAudio Member

Thank you!

GPA 604 adventuresHide this!Advertise here!