Porting

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm building a pair of towers that will be bi-amped . The lower section of each tower has 58.55 cu liters with 2 x 22w/8857t00 . The top section has 26.4 cu liters with a t29af001 and a 12m 4631g00 . How d I determine if I need venting or not and what size venting is needed if I do ?

The volumes you quote here are way off, how did you determine them?

The tweeter needs no cabinet and can be in the same enclosure as either the woofers or midrange.

Your midrange really wants a ~1 liter sealed cabinet.

Your woofers want 35-40 liters each. Assuming you make an 80 liter box for them, I would tune to 30 Hz with 2x 3" diameter ports, each about 12" long.

I wouldn't do either a Qtc=0.5 sealed or a 65L per woofer vented enclosure, as Verrueckterfuerst recommends. The larger box could be tuned to ~23Hz and give a lower F3 at the expense of dynamic range in the more usable 40Hz range. It's a bad design compromise for most people. In the same vein, practically there is no benefit of a Qtc=0.5 sealed box over a Qtc=0.7 one.

The choice of vented or sealed depends on whether you want a 60Hz F3 (sealed) or a ~31Hz F3 (ported) assuming you use 40L per woofer.

There is no benefit (or harm) in putting the tweeter in its own cabinet.

There is no such thing as Qtc for vented boxes. This "Vented Qtc" concept is a flawed design methodology.

For starting values try instead Small-Margolis:
Vb=Vas*20*Qts^3.3
Fb=Fs*0.42*Qts^-0.96

or Keele:
Vb=Vas*15*Qts^2.87
Fb=Fs*0.42*Qts^-0.9

Last edited:
How the volumes were calculated doesn't matter, why you used those volumes to begin with is what I was asking.

I am saying you should modify the box so the volumes are more like 40L each for the woofers and you only need a liter or so for the midrange. You could even just glue in a cardboard tube stuffed with polyfill or wool onto the back of the baffle for the midrange enclosure.

Show some pictures of your design.

how do I upload a photo ? I built the tower boxes before I knew things . This is my first attempt at building speakers .

First you make an image.

Then you reply to a message, or create a new one.
You click the little paperclip icon in the reply window and it brings up the dialog on the left. You click choose file and find the image you want to share, then you must click upload in the manage attachments dialog.

Then submit the reply.

Attachments

• image.PNG
    image.PNG
    156.3 KB · Views: 109
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
… a 60Hz F3 (sealed) or a ~31Hz F3 (ported)...

F6, F10? Toole has shown that to the ear/brain F3 has no meaning. And even less so if you are comparing vented to sealed.

Also if EQ is available in a system, sealed is ameaniable to EQ in ways that are not at all recommended for vented.

Sealed volume is not overly critical, Q=0.5 is likely a bit big for practicality, i usually target Q=0.58-0.707. A smaller cabinet is easier to make non-resonant.

dave

No. Chastizing people for using a non-useful spec. F3 is onlt useful for filters not ear/brain.

In my view your litany against F3, or nonscalar T/S parameters, is no more helpful or constructive then another canadian members' constant litany against simulators because you offer no solution, just criticism.

I told you in the last message that 30Hz vented beats 60Hz sealed. Go ahead and calculate F6 and F10 and "prove" me wrong.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.