Onken vs. W-Bin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm familiar with Onken cabintes loaded with 416 drivers but for my upcoming build was wondering if a W-Bin (e.g. variant of WE TA-7396) could be built that can be used up to 1kHz with a single 515. I know it's no big deal with an 416 in an Onken cab but I need something to cover 30 Hz to 800 - 1000 Hz in a three way horn system and felt a folded horn might match a bit better.

Thanks for your input.

GM

Joined 2003
was wondering if a W-Bin (e.g. variant of WE TA-7396) could be built that can be used up to 1kHz with a single 515.

The 7396 was limited to 300-400 Hz IIRC, so don't see it happening except with a straight truncated FLH and even then of course it would only be horn loaded down to whatever size limitation you have.

FWIW, a proven 30 Hz FLH from way back when was ~10,000 L/~2300 ft^3 or a false wall horn that would shorten my room's depth by ~2/3rds once folded up, so in stereo would be larger than my room.

Even then it would require EQing since a lot of HF output would disappear over a ~488 cm long pathlength terminating into a >90 deg bend at the mouth [assuming corner loading].

GM

GM

Joined 2003
Another contender would be an Altec 817, modified to work with a single 15" driver.
I don't like the 807 and 816 visually and the height of the 817 helps position the horns.

807? This is a low end 1" compression driver.

Re the 815-817 series with parallel walls, much better to adapt the 825/828 sloped baffle design when wanting to use a high XO point.

For a larger horn, FWIW I used the 210-211 series originally with a 500 Hz XO for decades and the longer I had them, the more tweaking I wound up doing and ultimately went to a large enough horn to use a 350 Hz XO to negate its parallel wall eigenmodes. With a compression chamber it went down to ~40 Hz, corner loaded perched on top of dual ~20 ft^3 515B 'subs' XO'd at 120 Hz/2nd order.

If I were to do it again though with these, I'd scratch build with all tapered sides like Steve did [scroll down]: Super Bad Cat

GM

for horns you can also ask at the Klipsch techical/modification forum. Hornresp is free. You could go like VOT/Exemplar'Micro-punch with reflex rear and front horn = tradeoffs.

mQWxOed.jpg

Thanks for your input. I had a feeling the Onken might be the best bet. It's just that I have been looking at a pair for years in my living room and wanted something different ;)

Btw, what software do you guys use to simulate enclosures?

A proper Altec or similar MLTL will get you a well damped ['tight'] response without all the Onken's mid bass/lower mids harmonic distortion due to its vent pipe harmonics comb filtering with the driver's output, euphonic though it is to most folks that build them [not me].

Hornresp, Leonard Audio's TL calculator or similar. The best overall is MJK's freeware MathCad worksheets, though probably not worth it unless one already has an older version of MC, with 2k XP Pro being preferred AFAIK and what I have, though not currently loaded. :(

GM

Check the Onken thread… i think there is an excel SS buried in there somewhere.

dave

Couldn't find it in thread search, but here's one if the description is correct, but I don't have Excel loaded, so someone will have to tell us if it's the 'real deal' [auto downloads]: http://www.audiodesignguide.com/HiEff/ONKEN_SP-15A-402PA.xls

Another auto download that should be it: http://www.mh-audio.nl/downloads/Onken_Calc.zip

Note that I've vetted MH-Audio's on-line version of it, so no real need for the xls unless one wants to modify its [unlocked] programming: mh-audio.nl - Home

GM

Hmm, the link takes you to the post with the zip file that has the entire program less the HELP file AFAIK, same as the original I have before the site disappeared; the only difference is that the new one must be done per the instructions in the post.

I'd email you mine, but I can't reinstall it if I have to since it's auto linked to the defunct website during the install, so wouldn't do you any good.

WRT .NET, no clue, but do know this laptop came with it installed, so if the zip file won't open/load properly, then ask the folks on that thread.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.