Replacing Drivers and X-Overs in Usher CP-8571’s?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So my girlfriend moved in and the DMD tweeters kinda kill her, well actually both of us...

I was originally going to build a set of speakers around Scan Speak Revelator Drivers but started thinking, it’s a nightmare to sell them plus I won’t get enough to feel ok about selling them and the cabinets are tip top and already somewhat set up for a 3 way Scanspeak Build (I know usher drivers are different)

I was thinking about using their beryllium tweeters, 7 and 8” woofers provided I could make them fit and airspace is close enough and maybe mod the port a bit.

I was originally going to have custom built Crossovers by Danny Richie and upgrade the speaker Cable. but started thinking why not just use the cabinets and sell the drivers and Crossovers.

Is this a terrible idea? I can’t build a set of cabinets anywhere near to this quality and they work great in my room.

I was thinking of buying a merchant XM9 and crossing them over at 50 hz. Just blew my 18” TAD’s and deciding whether or not use the fancy auras, Stereo integrity 18’s or JBL 2245’s. But would be using that for my subs and figure that should help them focus just on mid bass and open up a bit?

It’s my first post. Flame away! Just please throw me some solid info if you do. Just trying to learn

Last edited:
Ok, so we can agree that these are likely expensive loudspeakers, brand new ones especially so I would recommend that if you decide to keep the enclosures and install new drivers and XO filters, to be able to sell these one day in the future. I am convinced that different loudspeaker voicing may be what you are looking for but that is a job for someone skilled to do that. Good luck!

Bad idea. Swapping out drivers means changing the crossover, which is not something that you seem equipped to do. Also, the Usher drivers are as good as the Scan Classic equivalents, or at least close enough that any change would be more of a lateral move than an upgrade. You would likely do more harm than good.

According to this review, that tweeter has a pretty big breakup peak at 24kHz, which some people would say is inaudible. The reviewer does note that it can sound "edgy" compared to the same speaker with the Be version of that tweeter (which I believe is actually a copper-beryllium alloy). I'm not sure if it would be effective, practical, or worthwhile to address that with a notch filter, but it would be cheap and easy to try it. You could maybe try swapping in a soft dome Usher 9950* with minimal changes to the crossover. That might at least tell you whether the ultrasonic breakup is what's bothering you. You could also just attenuate the tweeter output a little more by changing a resistor or two.

It may not even be the tweeter that is bothering you—it's hard to evaluate individual components when they're in a system. If you really can't live with the speakers, it would be easier to sell them and start fresh than try to modify them to your tastes, even if selling them is a "nightmare". "Upgrading" the cable will not make an audible difference—just consider that the signal will be passing through the same lead wires and voice coil afterwards. That money would be better spent on a measurement microphone.

*Usher products will not be available for much longer, so act quickly if you want to go this route. If you can find a pair of Dayton RS28s, those might also work. The Scan ring radiators might be able to drop in without any crossover modifications, too, although you'd have to drill some new holes to mount them.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.