Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

DIY vs brand speaker
DIY vs brand speaker
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th December 2017, 12:23 AM   #1
dvjorge is offline dvjorge  United States
diyAudio Member

Default DIY vs brand speaker

Merry Christmas everyone!

I have not experience comparing DIY speakers vs brand name speakers. What I know is many brands don't use quality drivers and don't have a solid construction. When they use top drivers, speakers cost a fortune. Can a DIY design rival a high end speaker ?? I see the market has high end drivers such as Scan Speak, Vifa, Eaton, Audax, etc, that are accessible to many people. I can not aspire to own brand name speakers using those but I can build them by myself. I don't know if building them we can achieve the high end sound those drivers are able to delivery.

Do you think your DIY projects can compete with B&W, Paradigm, Kef, Boston Acoustic, etc ??

Just to have an idea what is the experience of this community. My only hope to own a high quality set of speakers is building them by myself. But, I don't want to expend the money, time, and to live all the process if they aren't able to improve the sound of my entry level speakers. On the other hand, my wish of building them and to be successful is something that I can not negate. Hope to present them to this wonderful community some day not to far from now, and yes, to get better sound than those $500/$600 bookshelf speakers I own now.

Thanks a lot for all your contributions, help, and enjoy the holidays.!

Last edited by dvjorge; 25th December 2017 at 06:57 AM.
Old 25th December 2017, 01:13 AM   #2
Deano452 is offline Deano452  Australia
diyAudio Member

I was a brand man until I started off improving an old pair of 3 way floorstander's. Whilst still learning the Diy cabinet construction can be a lot better without the freight, dealer Mark up's etc...
Old 25th December 2017, 05:33 AM   #3
wushuliu is online now wushuliu  United States
diyAudio Member

Of course they can compete. Salk Sound for instance has many of their speakers designed by people active in the diy community like Dennis Murphy and Jeff Bagby, both pf whom have free designs you can find online. Joachim Gerhard is active here and has his recent Satori monitor build in another thread. Quite a few of the gurus who design top speakers are also active in diy. Etc. etc.

What eats up the cost of expensive speakers is the enclosure. Metal, exotic woods, size, shape, finish, shipping. THAT is where a lot of your money goes. That is the toughest part to compete. The aesthetics. A diy can sound just as good...but won't look as pretty.

However the budget market has become very competitive. Under $500 it will be hard to diy better than retail. If you have the skills and tools to build and a well done crossover then yes definitely.
Old 25th December 2017, 05:56 AM   #4
wushuliu is online now wushuliu  United States
diyAudio Member

Oh, and one of the things you can do with diy is tailor the sound to your own tastes, just the way you like it withou having to worry about a graphic equalizer or bass and treble controls.
Old 25th December 2017, 06:40 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Love this part.! I just sold a pair of B&W DM-602 S2 because I didn't like the way they sounded with my current electronic. I didn't want to modify the original crossovers or experiment with them.
Old 25th December 2017, 06:41 AM   #6
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

Exactly right. I think every audiophile should build at least 1 pair of speakers in their lifetimes, I think they would learn a great deal about speaker value but also their own tastes and their power to change it. The thing about all my speakers is: They pretty much sound exactly how I want them to. I'm not spending all year swapping cables, amplifiers, and preamps to get the sound I want.

Best,

E
Old 25th December 2017, 07:37 AM   #7
Juhazi is online now Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

Giving a passive speaker the tonality that you want is no easy at all! One must learn a lot of acoustics and electronics to do that, even by trial and error. And secondly many have noticed that they like different speakers for different recordings.

Small two-way speakers are easy to start diy with, but as mentioned, it is really hard to beat commercial products.

With tall multi-way speakers diy-benefit is maximal, but they also require lots of skill, that must be gained first...

There are many free loudspeaker design/simulation programs that are worth learning. We have also many free measuring software. We have some very good dsp-xo boxes that make active multiway speakers possible for those who are poor at mathematics like me!

It's a long and winding road! Wellcome along!
Old 25th December 2017, 07:45 AM   #8
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvjorge View Post
Can a DIY design rival a high end speaker ??
I would ask the opposite, can a commercial speaker rival a DIY one? In my opinion it isn't the cost, or the quality of the drivers, but the application. This includes size and baffle complexity.
Old 25th December 2017, 12:42 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhazi View Post
Giving a passive speaker the tonality that you want is no easy at all <snip>
Thanks for your answer! Can you advice some program, books, or website where I can read and learn the first steps.
Old 25th December 2017, 01:01 PM   #10
Mayuri is online now Mayuri  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenB View Post
I would ask the opposite, can a commercial speaker rival a DIY one? In my opinion it isn't the cost, or the quality of the drivers, but the application. This includes size and baffle complexity.
Sure it can. Look at studio monitors for example (Genelec). It will be very hard to get same quality for the same money (aluminum enclosure, flat freq response, etc).

DIY vs brand speakerHide this!Advertise here!