Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

DIY vs brand speaker
DIY vs brand speaker
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th December 2017, 01:34 AM   #31
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

DIY vs brand speaker
KEF 104 was discontinued in the late 70s, replaced by the KEF 104ab, then came 104 Reference and mk versions. If used 104 are selling for $4k someone is being ripped off.

dave
Old 27th December 2017, 02:32 AM   #32
lsiberian is offline lsiberian  United States
diyAudio Member

I love designing and building speakers. I love reading build threads and articles about designing them. I love going to conferences or traveling cross country to hear special designs.

It's actually a cheap hobby once you get the tools for it. Plus you'll learn woodworking and soldering.

The best speakers I've heard were all DIY designs. Each builder had at least 5 years of experience though so keep that in mind.
Old 27th December 2017, 04:07 AM   #33
Octavia is offline Octavia  United States
diyAudio Member

There are so many good designs in speakers. Brand speakers i currently own include Quad 63 electrostatic, Ohm Walsh2, Genesis 2 ways, 3 ways, and servo subs, Rogers bookshelf speakers, and RA Labs. Every one of them has been tweeked in various ways to improve the downward dynamic range by quieting all the little cabinet resonances, driver reflections, etc. There are just some things that even brand names don't spend the time and money on that do make a difference. If I were to buy another rather than design my own I would certainly buy the LX Mini. Have heard it many times in many rooms and its a keeper. Most likely I will buy it now that Nelson Pass has an analog crossover for it. And even after all that I am still intending to build a design of my own. I treasure the experience of being able to share music with others just as I treasure the opportunity to hear live performances. I would encourage anyone to be "active" with this hobby rather than passive. You might be amazed at how close you can come to the cost no object systems, and you'll learn a lot and have fun doing it.
Old 27th December 2017, 04:34 AM   #34
asuslover is offline asuslover  Romania
diyAudio Member

DIY vs brand speaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano452 View Post
I agree somewhat but if you do your research and take it slow it can be fun , I heavily modified some ElectroVoice status 50 's and made my center channel from scratch. Here's a pic . That center is massive weighs about 60 kg is a 3 way crosses with an LR2 @ 450 Hz and 3800 Hz has a Lpad on the mids.
The enclosure is heavily braced lined with felt and stuffing and is a sealed unit.

Attachment 653121
You are absolutely right, it is fun , but only when you are happy with the results. Btw your speaker looks great!
Old 27th December 2017, 04:57 AM   #35
Deano452 is offline Deano452  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asuslover View Post
You are absolutely right, it is fun , but only when you are happy with the results. Btw your speaker looks great!
Thanks and that's a 46 inch Sony sitting on it for reference.
Old 27th December 2017, 05:30 AM   #36
mikewxyz is offline mikewxyz  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, you can build your own speakers that rival commercial brands. However, if your only goal is to save money, I would instead buy a nice used pair of commercial speakers. It’s kinda like saying, I’m going to save money on buying fish by becoming a fisherman ;-) If you already have the woodworking tools, have an interest in learning, and time to do this, DIY speaker building is a rewarding hobby. I think most people on this site will tell you that the journey is as rewarding as the destination.

You are right that high end drivers and crossover components are expensive - several thousands of dollars. It’s generally a good idea to build a starter kit before trying to compete with Wilson Audio or Sonus Faber.

There are designs and kits available depending on how much you want to do yourself. This is an interesting site DIY-Loudspeakers and there are others.
Old 27th December 2017, 05:55 AM   #37
Jim the Oldbie is offline Jim the Oldbie  United States
diyAudio Member

DIY vs brand speaker
I love to tinker, especially with audio gear. But I've never gotten very good at woodworking, nor do I have the best tools for that job. So when it comes to speakers, it makes more sense for someone like me to begin with some nice commercially produced enclosures (Sony SS-M3 in my case). These are 1" MDF, trapezoidal, solidly braced with nice cherry wood veneer, and the original Peerless drivers are decent.

Starting there, my DIY approach has been to switch from the original passive to active DSP for crossovers, driver and room correction via careful measurement and listening tests. This has been a fun and rewarding process, and my speakers are now working on a level I never would've imagined. My only problem now is that I no longer feel the constant need to tinker with them!

sony-ssm3.jpg
Old 27th December 2017, 06:26 AM   #38
Deano452 is offline Deano452  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim the Oldbie View Post
I love to tinker, especially with audio gear. But I've never gotten very good at woodworking, nor do I have the best tools for that job. So when it comes to speakers, it makes more sense for someone like me to begin with some nice commercially produced enclosures (Sony SS-M3 in my case). These are 1" MDF, trapezoidal, solidly braced with nice cherry wood veneer, and the original Peerless drivers are decent.

Starting there, my DIY approach has been to switch from the original passive to active DSP for crossovers, driver and room correction via careful measurement and listening tests. This has been a fun and rewarding process, and my speakers are now working on a level I never would've imagined. My only problem now is that I no longer feel the constant need to tinker with them!

Attachment 653205
Nice
Old 27th December 2017, 06:37 AM   #39
Jim the Oldbie is offline Jim the Oldbie  United States
diyAudio Member

DIY vs brand speaker
It took me about 10 years to collect a set of 5 (thanks Ebay), but I really like them a lot.
Old 27th December 2017, 01:11 PM   #40
anji12305 is offline anji12305  United States
diyAudio Member

There are excellent kits available using qyality components and proven designs.

It's my opinion that each "layer" of component (drivers, Crossover order, cabinet features) complicates the likelihood of getting all the parts to play well together.

As a fan of open baffle designs, with higher sensitivity drivers my preference is for simple.

See ZaphAudio, Meniscus and Troels Gravesen

DIY vs brand speakerHide this!Advertise here!