Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

DIY vs brand speaker
DIY vs brand speaker
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2018, 07:57 PM   #281
diyrob is offline diyrob  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

A common equation seems to be commercial = 5-10 times cost of DIY. I think commercial budget speakers would be much closer. The more you spend the more you potentially save (particularly with larger cabs). Troels Gravesen gives the big issue as size - bigger speakers are easier to make sound better, and cheap to build DIY - but costing a fortune to manufacture, store, and ship. I would say building to an existing and well documented design or getting a kit is the way to go to minimise the risk of an expensive white elephant.
Essential reading;
DIY-Loudspeakers
Old 12th January 2018, 08:27 PM   #282
dvjorge is offline dvjorge  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyrob View Post
A common equation seems to be commercial = 5-10 times cost of DIY. I think commercial budget speakers would be much closer. The more you spend the more you potentially save (particularly with larger cabs). Troels Gravesen gives the big issue as size - bigger speakers are easier to make sound better, and cheap to build DIY - but costing a fortune to manufacture, store, and ship. I would say building to an existing and well documented design or getting a kit is the way to go to minimise the risk of an expensive white elephant.
Essential reading;
DIY-Loudspeakers
Thank you.! I have read most things he has documented in his page.
Old 15th January 2018, 10:34 PM   #283
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfiandy View Post
I will take a look, its likely the cabinet will need to change.

The crossover will definately need to change. This DS-215 does look like a good option from the Dayton range.
Hi Andrew, when you simulated the drivers did you get the DS-215 data ?? I read you mentioning an aluminum cone woofer and I am confused. There is one DS-215 and one DA-215. I want to be sure you did it with the DS-215. The DS-215 isn't an aluminum cone woofer. Thank for all your help.

Dayton Audio DS215-8 8" Designer Series Woofer Speaker

Dayton Audio DA215-8 8" Aluminum Cone Woofer

Last edited by dvjorge; 15th January 2018 at 10:39 PM.
Old 15th January 2018, 11:13 PM   #284
andy2 is offline andy2  United States
Sin Bin

Kind of interesting Troels never had any tall slim designs (actually he might have had one but the design was probably not very optimal). I keep telling him that he needs to improve the look of his designs.
Old 16th January 2018, 02:45 PM   #285
gfiandy is offline gfiandy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvjorge View Post
Hi Andrew, when you simulated the drivers did you get the DS-215 data ?? I read you mentioning an aluminum cone woofer and I am confused. There is one DS-215 and one DA-215. I want to be sure you did it with the DS-215. The DS-215 isn't an aluminum cone woofer. Thank for all your help.

Dayton Audio DS215-8 8" Designer Series Woofer Speaker

Dayton Audio DA215-8 8" Aluminum Cone Woofer

I am almost certain it was the DS215 data I captured (I must have got confused over which driver was the aluminium one). However I am away from home with work in Romania at the moment and all the CAD files are on my home PC. I will be back on Friday and can make sure then. Also I think I sent you the screen grabs I used to input the data so you check on those and compare with the data sheets to see which one I inputted.
Old 16th January 2018, 03:13 PM   #286
burgunder is offline burgunder  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy2 View Post
Kind of interesting Troels never had any tall slim designs (actually he might have had one but the design was probably not very optimal). I keep telling him that he needs to improve the look of his designs.
He does look for the tall-slim floorstanders.
Old 20th January 2018, 12:58 PM   #287
gfiandy is offline gfiandy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi, I just checked the original downloaded Zip file from the Dayton site and it is definitely the DS-215 that I used the data for sorry for any confusion my referencing aluminium drivers cause.

Andrew
Old 21st January 2018, 12:12 AM   #288
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfiandy View Post
Hi, I just checked the original downloaded Zip file from the Dayton site and it is definitely the DS-215 that I used the data for sorry for any confusion my referencing aluminium drivers cause.

Andrew
Thank you.!

DIY vs brand speakerHide this!Advertise here!