Your projects for 2018?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I plan to build my next 3-way project. It will be a fully bipolar speaker sealed speaker that uses CLD and a dense red oak bracing matrix.

Currently I'm leaning towards a build with the Dayton AMT tweeters, Dayton Dome Midrange(already own), and the Dayton RS-225. I'll be using the Minidsp as the crossover and my Dayton MA1260 as the amp.

I'm debating using a template rather than a jasper jig for cutting and recessing. Anyone who's used the jasper jig can tell you it's very tedious for more than a couple holes. Cutting the same holes six times gets very old and takes forever.

It will be the first build I get to use my table saw for everything on.

First job is to finish building my 1968 Ford Anglia 105e.

Then I will need a new project so thinking -

Affordable (relatively) Compact 3 way monitor - looking at Dayton RS180p-4, TB W4-1337SDF plus SB 21RDC - based on slightly cut down Holtz Statement Monitor (around 18-20l) but with front slot port and running the Statement tube mid cavity. Running fully active with minidsp (x2) and one amp per driver. I have two Rotel rb850’s to be used for bass in bridged mode, looking for possibly an Arcam Delta 290P or Audiolab 8000P for the mids and possibly a valve or class A for tweeters. Looking for a tight bass, revealing mid and sweet (not harsh) top.

Then I have some plans for my old AR EB101 turntable!

Last edited:
Re-doing the living room stereo. Currently I have a pair of active monitors which I've modified to have a 3.5mm jack input. I don't have a preamp or anything like that, so I feed them from a laptop. I'm not quite happy with the monitors, so I've decided to start afresh, with these:

An unlikely monitor - FE166En, small box, solid-state amplifier

Amplification will either be a decent integrated HiFi amp, or a silly-big PA amp depending on what I fancy.

I'm hoping for a detailed sound where you can hear more "into the mix" compared to the current speakers.

Chris

I'm trying to finish a project I intended to be complete by the end of last April, for the 2017 Lone Star Audio Fest. Maybe this year... :eek: It was originally going to be a small(ish) form factor, slot loaded open baffle tower, with BG Neo10 mids and Aurum Cantus AST2560 AMT type tweeters.

Before cutting began, the reality of how unsuited my listening room is for dipole radiated LF (no practical way to get a decent distance from walls) resulted in that design being stillborn. I changed it to a hybrid design. Sealed enclosure LF, open baffle for the shorter wavelengths. Mostly just playing around with "maximum surface area/minimum form factor". System will be active, using FIR filters.

I'm building an LCR set and have fabricated and veneered the LF bins. I'm currently cutting woofer holes...and more woofer holes...and MORE woofer holes (for HiVi M8N's). 18 woofer holes is a bunch of router passes...it feels like a career! I have cut the front baffles and marked the driver locations, but have not begun finishing or routing driver locations for those, yet.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.