Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

SNR-1 : Mundorf / Scanspeak 2 Way
SNR-1 : Mundorf / Scanspeak 2 Way
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th December 2017, 03:14 PM   #1
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

Default SNR-1 : Mundorf / Scanspeak 2 Way

Hello everyone,

I'd like to offer all of you this Christmas present. The design data for the SNR-1.
SNR-1 : Mundorf / Scanspeak 2 Way-snr1-jpg

The cabinetry is by Lee Taylor of Taylor Acoustics. Drivers:

• Mundorf AMT25CM1.1-R
  • ScanSpeak Revelator 18W/4531-G00
I can guarantee I screwed up the bass measurements. I got busy and never got back to splicing together the port and driver correctly. Take it with a grain of salt. The cabinet volume is straight up what Madisound recommends:

1.0 cubic foot box with 2" vent by 5" long for F3 of 40Hz

In terms of sound quality, I really love the final result. It needs a LOT of vertical space or damping though, you don't get nearly enough transparency out of them if they are cramped. They may seem a little lean to many, as they do not thump at all, but on movies, classical and classical they are pretty amazing, but may lack a smidgen along the lower registers of a double bass and piano. It's hard to tell where I am due to bad listening situation. There's no hype in the sound. They do not exaggerate presence, treble or bass. They sound amazing on heavy bass like the opening of the Universal Pictures credits, but like I say, not going to give you a Rock n Roll punch either. I suspect you could tune the woofer crossover somewhat and increase the tweeter damping to get this if you wanted, at the cost of some sensitivity.

The measurements above about 800 Hz were done at 1m, but I did attempt to splice in close-mic data for the woofer. In general it is very close to what I have measured in the far field.

Enjoy!

Erik
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNR1.jpg (218.0 KB, 1424 views)
File Type: jpg SNR1_FR.jpg (133.6 KB, 707 views)
File Type: jpg SNR1_SCHEMA.jpg (50.1 KB, 696 views)
File Type: jpg SNR1_ZMA.jpg (150.5 KB, 691 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip SNR1.zip (445.0 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by eriksquires; 24th December 2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 25th December 2017, 12:28 AM   #2
Bill poster is offline Bill poster  Thailand
diyAudio Member

Thanks for posting! V keen to use this driver in an mltl next year. How is the area around crossover frequency, does the woofer have any colouration issues?
Old 25th December 2017, 01:26 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Just to add- I've read the Rev 18w has a slight hump in the midrange. Cd the lean sound be due to less output in the upper bass/lower mids?

Love the cabs, drivers, really nice looking
Old 25th December 2017, 01:51 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hey Bill, I'd suggest you grab the XSim files I included. I've been having this argument with Steve, who doesn't have them to measure or he'd get off his soap box. The actual drivers are far better measuring than the spec sheets, so no, it's not a big deal. In fact, the notch filter I include is practically optional.

Honestly the FR is MUCH better than the spec sheet, so my guess is SS at some point improved the drivers without improving the spec sheets. While I worry about the balance, and whether others will like it the way I do what I can state, unequivocally is that the mid-woofer to tweeter transition is absolutely seamless and they simply do not sound like speakers. You can't locate them as separate sound sources, and those who have listened who are not audiophiles describe them as very "warm" sounding. None of that would happen with this simple crossover if those woofers were standing out at all.

Best,

E

Last edited by eriksquires; 25th December 2017 at 01:58 AM.
Old 25th December 2017, 02:00 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks! Couldn't get the images to load on tapatalk at first.
So the x/o is around 2.8?
Old 25th December 2017, 02:17 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Depends exactly how you measure it. There's quite a bit of EQ going on in the tweeter, hidden in the 3rd order high pass filter, to bring it down and extend the top octave. The tweet is so sensitive though it can give up a lot and still be efficient.

Best to look at the filter response graphs to see what I mean.

Last edited by eriksquires; 25th December 2017 at 02:19 AM.
Old 25th December 2017, 02:40 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

So just looked again, yes, 2.8kHz is where the two meet, and I guess the easy answer is that is the X/O point.
Old 25th December 2017, 04:33 AM   #8
johnego is offline johnego  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksquires View Post
those who have listened who are not audiophiles describe them as very "warm" sounding. None of that would happen with this simple crossover if those woofers were standing out at all.
You can do better, do not stop there
Old 25th December 2017, 06:12 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

The warm or lush sound divides opinion; without wanting to start a s#$tstorm, Troels tried a 2 way with this driver(not sure which ohm rating) and kind of gave up, concluding it was better suited to a 3 way.
But there are plenty of speaker builders who are satisfied with their results using these in a 2 way
Old 25th December 2017, 07:31 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Bill,

This particular mid-woofer is super-easy to use. The Illuminator on the other hand, at least on paper, is a lot harder at this size, but I'd have to see the specific article you are referring to.

Best,

E

SNR-1 : Mundorf / Scanspeak 2 WayHide this!Advertise here!