Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

SNR-1 : Mundorf / Scanspeak 2 Way
SNR-1 : Mundorf / Scanspeak 2 Way
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd January 2018, 05:23 AM   #51
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

Steve,

I'm sincerely speechless.

Erik
Old 3rd January 2018, 08:40 AM   #52
ODougbo is offline ODougbo  United States
diyAudio Member

lol Did you see these? PE stocks them:
btw, Super easy to make Test Baffles for experiments , basically glue two 1/2" mdf boards together (or other wood). The outside edge would need to be rolled over with a router, but not the deep rabbit cutting.
[Or just buy extra blanks]

Untitled.jpg

Last edited by ODougbo; 3rd January 2018 at 08:51 AM.
Old 3rd January 2018, 11:50 AM   #53
Zvu is offline Zvu  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksquires View Post
I should point out that I added near field measurements to the XSim I posted here, so below 500 Hz or so you'll notice a difference. I spliced in the port contributions, but I am really not sure I did that right. I will say I was guided by in room response in splicing, not math, so, could definitely have messed it up.
Splicing is always aproximation. I do it at an end of a project to see quasi anechoic measurements aproximation. What works for me is nearfield measurement of midwoofer (under 2cm distance) and gated farfield measurement of whole loudspeaker (gating at least at 300Hz or lower). Then i merge it between 300-400Hz. Sometimes i do groundplane measurement and merge it to gated farfield - it shows more consistent results because i don't need to measure port output and merge it to nearfield.

Anyway, good gate goes a long way. Point of my post is to get precise quasi anechoic measurements at least on axis to see if your measurements will match with Troelses. Whatever i may think of Troels designs, his measurements are spot on in my experience and it would worry me if my measurements wouldn't match his.

Not claiming that your measurements are faulty, but certainly something to be investigated.

Last edited by Zvu; 3rd January 2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old 3rd January 2018, 01:17 PM   #54
RajkoM is offline RajkoM  Bosnia and Herzegovina
diyAudio Member

I have nothing against measurement, absolutely.
But for me, "well-measured" speakers never sounds good for my ears.
For example, Troels measurements always have pronounced bass.
The upper middle are weak expressive; high - almost no.
Bad for me

First, I'm not a "bass man". For me, good sounding 50Hz is more than enough.
And I need a little more pronounced upper frequency.
Everyone has their own taste

But I'm 64 and that's for me.
Old 3rd January 2018, 01:37 PM   #55
Zvu is offline Zvu  Serbia
diyAudio Member

You can open a thread about that in which i'll be happy to participate.

In short, my experience is quite different than yours. Speakers that measures well, sound well.

I never said that Troels speakers measures well or bad (i can only say that for a particular design - i could never generalize). I said that his measurements are accurate.

Last edited by Zvu; 3rd January 2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old 3rd January 2018, 01:44 PM   #56
RajkoM is offline RajkoM  Bosnia and Herzegovina
diyAudio Member

Ok Zvule,

Threads where very subjective opinions are expressed are useless and usually ends ugly.
But if we ever meets, ones .....

Najbolje želje i sretna Nova godina.

Erik, sorry for OT, please
Old 3rd January 2018, 02:50 PM   #57
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

I should also point out, I have another schematic from Madisound with the same woofer. The woofer measurements are very very close to my own. So, I'm fairly confident that the raw woofer driver, especially around the crossover, is accurate. Plus, I'd hear an exaggerated midrange hump.

It's just not as bad as the specs say.

Best,

E

SNR-1 : Mundorf / Scanspeak 2 WayHide this!Advertise here!