Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

SNR-1 : Mundorf / Scanspeak 2 Way
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th December 2017, 07:43 AM   #11
Bill poster is offline Bill poster  Thailand
diyAudio Member

It does look easy to use.

Here's the Troels link. It doesnt put me off using it but obviously trying to soak up as much info (bf I start)is a good idea

SP95
Old 25th December 2017, 08:17 AM   #12
Mario Pankov is offline Mario Pankov  Europe
diyAudio Member

I`m not sure why he`d have given up, the 18W is among the best mass produced midwoofers for a 2-way. There was a test in Voice coil where when even driven beyond its linear range it did very well. It makes a superb 2-way (with all its limitations) with a shallow waveguide. Perhaps what you mean is the fact this woofer wants a bigger than usual box, so you have ot go for a floorstander anyways and if you do, why not just do a 3-way with a 10" at the bottom
Old 25th December 2017, 05:02 PM   #13
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

Oh, I think I know what happened! He's attempting a series crossover! My design is parallel. Unfortunately he seems to be generalizing his inability to make this woofer work in series as a general failure of the woofer, which is not what I found.

But as I have alluded to, my measurements are simply better than the spec, and maybe better than Troels. This may indeed be a driver that has been improved over time without being mentioned.

Best,

E

Last edited by eriksquires; 25th December 2017 at 05:08 PM.
Old 25th December 2017, 05:10 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

<< Scratching my head >> Or maybe it's the use of the notch filter up around 4kHz on the woofer.
Old 26th December 2017, 11:45 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

This woofer does not need a notch filter. I saw his design and what he got there was a diffraction effect, there is a wide wrong belief that a 16-18cm woofer will be too directional and cannot illuminate the edges. While the amplitude will not be as high as if it was a small radiator, it still does and the bump makes some female vocals sound nassal, hence his notch filter. If he did a more careful work to the baffle, this would have been avoided but it also comes down to how feasible it would be - sometimes soldering a lcr trap is much easier, Gravesen used to build these for the diy community so I can understand his drive for simplicity.
Old 26th December 2017, 12:20 PM   #16
wolf_teeth is offline wolf_teeth  United States
diyAudio Member

The 3.9mH/22ohm/10uF notch Troels is using is for the small energy storage peak around 700-800 Hz. This is not centered at 4k, and I don't see any other notch in the system. This blip is common in the Revelator woofers, as the 15W also has it. It makes the vocals come through a bit forced and forward without the notch in place.

Later,
Wolf
Old 26th December 2017, 01:47 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

The blip on his design (the SP95) is much wider and higher in amplitude than the one on the SS datasheet. i do not believe he is addressing a driver derived artefact but a baffle one.
Old 26th December 2017, 01:57 PM   #18
Bill poster is offline Bill poster  Thailand
diyAudio Member

If the baffle were curved a la magico, wd that help? I'm guessing the baffle plays a role with that rise above baffle step
Old 26th December 2017, 03:36 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Sorry, but I used a notch filter at 4khz, it's rather broad, almost too broad to call it a notch, and it helped flatten the woofer's rolloff significantly. Of course, I include my design files, so anyone who wishes to improve upon my crossover is free to do so. But I agree with everyone but Troels and Steve: This is a very nice, easy to use mid-woofer.

Interestingly, Troels uses a related 6.5" in another design, calling it the best mid-woofer he ever heard. I kind of agree. See here...

Fusion

There's another active thread on it as well:

Troel's new big 3 way classic

( I am being verbose for the sake of posterity).

Best,

E
Old 27th December 2017, 12:21 AM   #20
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

That's the 18M and not the 18W and it's not doing bass. Remove low bass duty from the 18W8531G00 and it becomes a much better driver.

SNR-1 : Mundorf / Scanspeak 2 WayHide this!Advertise here!