Acoustics of corners

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
2 front subs and 2 inverted delayed rear subs. Double bass array Double bass array - Wikipedia
Mic position exactly as in previous meas.
Like this now:

Attachments

• DBA28-01-18.jpg
    DBA28-01-18.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
It's not static pressure, I hope we can agree to that. What I find most people dislike in bass in rooms is a strong mode which creates a booming effect and maybe a feeling of "pressurization". This will not occur for a dipole if the mode is low enough in frequency, only a monopole will excite it. The solution is to EQ the room better so that this doesn't happen. The dipole can never be EQ'd to achieve the same response as a monopole in a small room, so a dipole not not really a solution, its a band-aid.

It's not static pressure, I hope we can agree to that.
Yes of course.
What I find most people dislike in bass in rooms is a strong mode which creates a booming effect and maybe a feeling of "pressurization". This will not occur for a dipole if the mode is low enough in frequency, only a monopole will excite it.
This sounds like what I've experienced
The solution is to EQ the room better so that this doesn't happen. The dipole can never be EQ'd to achieve the same response as a monopole in a small room, so a dipole not not really a solution, its a band-aid.
Do you mean the same low frequency response of a monopole, say, below approx 40Hz. I appreciate a dipole isn't a solution to room modes, is that what you mean?

I mean that dipole just cannot extend the bass to lower frequencies in a small room the way a monopole can. The bad rep that monopoles get is because they are not used properly and not because dipole are superior. My room only has monopoles and it has a nice smooth LF response down to 20 Hz - no dipole can do that. Of course It's not trivial to setup, but I get annoyed by implications that dipoles are somehow inherently superior because people have only heard inferior monopole setups.

Got L=4.7mH, R=2 ohm, C=470uF and did another set of measurements:

1. RLC_shunt vs. Short-circuit vs. No absorber

2. RLC_shunt vs. Short-circuit (for better visibility)

I would say that both short-circuit or RLC shunt look better than no absorber. And RLC shunt has a little margin over short-circuit as two dips look better. This is only measurement, I will go on listening the RLC thing too see if I can hear a difference.

Attachments

• RLCshunt_ShortCircuit_NoAbsorber.PNG
    RLCshunt_ShortCircuit_NoAbsorber.PNG
    89.5 KB · Views: 271
  • RLCshunt_vs_ShortCircuit.PNG
    RLCshunt_vs_ShortCircuit.PNG
    83.8 KB · Views: 261
Back to my first question :
we know that corners are places where all low frequency modes are present with max pressure and no velocity. For this reason, many people (and many books) say that basstraps are preferably placed in corners. This is also often said for fibrous materials (despite no velocity in corners). For sure, at opposite corner, the effect will be heard. But at listening place ?
I think that found one explanation after a nice discussion with somebody who was active in the development of the AVAA from PSI : this active absorber is a nice tool to understand some acoustics because you can easily compare and measure when switching it on/off.
My explanation : when you place this absorber or a passive resonator or absorbant in a corner (ie anything that has some acoustic inluence in low frequencies), this "absorber" can be considered as a re-radiating item. Generally its dimensions are smaller than the low frequencies wavelengths concerned. Due to the small dimensions, the directivity of the re-radiation is wide and so will influence and distord the original soundfield everywhere in the room.
Does this make sense ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.