Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Acoustics of corners
Acoustics of corners
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th January 2018, 12:00 PM   #21
andytoddmsp is offline andytoddmsp  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlo View Post
With all room shapes, there will be modes. My question is : why do some acousticians and books recommend corner placement of basstraps or absorbents ?
Hi jlo

From my experience, the corner allows absorption of not only axial modes (1,0,0 mode) but is also helps with absorption of tangential and oblique modes which will also have pressure maxima at the boundary.

If, for example, you place your trap in the centre of a wall, you would attenuate the axial mode, but the modes of the perpendicular opposing walls, corner to corner modes and other exotic mode shapes would be unaffected.

Hope this helps.

Andy
Old 15th January 2018, 08:59 PM   #22
audiostar is offline audiostar  United States
diyAudio Member

Acoustic Absorbers and Diffusers third edition by Peter D'Antonio and Trevor Cox.
Old 16th January 2018, 11:11 AM   #23
jlo is offline jlo  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andytoddmsp View Post
Hope this helps. Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiostar View Post
Acoustic Absorbers and Diffusers third edition by Peter D'Antonio and Trevor Cox.
Sorry guys, but this litterature I know : it explains nothing at all about efficiency of absorption in corners. As I already told, the only beginning of an explanation was proposed by Earl Geddes and it is far from the standard model for room modes.
Old 17th January 2018, 11:34 AM   #24
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

I have used absorbers across corners. Lots of them. They do make some difference. I used corners to minimise the room space they used and still they were very intrusive. On the other hand the multiple sub approach can present an effective active absorber scenario.
Old 17th January 2018, 11:49 AM   #25
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Have you tried active cancellation at all?
Old 17th January 2018, 12:06 PM   #26
scholl is offline scholl  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post

Hanging a dead wall over an existing wall is not too hard and much more effective. Takes up almost zero space. Not as easy as just buying traps and placing them in corners.
What is your favorite recipe for a dead wall?

My rooms problem is that it's dry wall walls with Armstrong acoustic tile ceiling. The ceiling is too dead for midbass and too lively above. So it looses lots of midbass energy while maintaining flutter. I don't have the heart to tear down and replace the ceiling. I use duct board to affectively attenuate flutter which leaves the midbass much too dead.

Thanks!!

Scott
Old 17th January 2018, 12:07 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

@Scott
You mean other than multiple subs?
Old 17th January 2018, 12:23 PM   #28
scholl is offline scholl  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenB View Post
@Scott
You mean other than multiple subs?
Yes, I have two subs now and deep bass is fine, my troubles are midbass 80-200hz.

I think the only solution for it is to replace the ceiling or add large surface diffusion which would equate to replacing the walls. For now I use a different room. We have a semi open floor living room I like better but others like to watch TV while I listen and that causes other problems.

Can't win.

My personal favorite sounding space is a small clearing in a wooded lot. No echo what so ever. A $1000 system sounds like a million bucks. LOL
Old 17th January 2018, 12:29 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scholl View Post
Can't win.
Can. I'm not saying it's easy tracking down issues in the lower midrange, it's probably the most difficult. Very important to good sound as well. That tactile feel and all.

Any idea whether the modes in question are whole room connected or mostly single wall reflections?
Old 17th January 2018, 12:34 PM   #30
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

I was thinking along the lines of a double bass array

Acoustics of cornersHide this!Advertise here!