Acoustics of corners

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Something I've been wondering about; say you have a balanced sound at your listening position with no serious peaks or nulls, will be effects of modes elsewhere in the room affect the sound in a negative way?

Not sure if I understand the question, but I will say that in the modal region modes are not localized, they are everywhere. You cannot have a situation where a mode is active in one place and not another except at the nodal lines, which are precisely defined lines of stationary velocity and maximum pressure. If you were to plot out the intensity in the room, then it would be uniform throughout. above the modal region "hot spots" or focal points can occur, but this would be a unique situation.

I see what you mean, I'm not expressing it correctly when I say modes elsewhere. I think I'm looking for a problem where one doesn't exist. It doesn't matter in the listening spot where I have a well balanced sound that there is say a node of maximum pressure a few feet away? Just wondered.....too much time on my hands, haha.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I see what you mean, I'm not expressing it correctly when I say modes elsewhere. I think I'm looking for a problem where one doesn't exist. It doesn't matter in the listening spot where I have a well balanced sound that there is say a node of maximum pressure a few feet away? Just wondered.....too much time on my hands, haha.
Another way to ask your question might be: can I equalise the bass to my listening position and ignore the modes..

I once made a sub filter that made a corner sub flat down to 16 hz. Maybe at 95dB
The problem was that nodes ratteled objects near the walls ... nodes outside listening position can matter:)

That's not necessarily a mode (which is what I think you meant, nodes don't excite anything,) most likely not. It is simply a mechanical vibration excited by the sound field - at a modal frequency or not.

Problem is that those curve show Sound Transmission loss not sound absorption. From inside the room, transmission to the outside is absorption. We really do not know how much sound is absorbed by those structures.
Yes, but the topics are related.
Just tried to warn that such modifications should be done by qualified personell, as yourself.
Damping of bass with panels is a difficoult task. The mid can be overdamped and the bass underdamped so the room sounds strange.

Sorry, I don`t know
A later 2016 AES article from the authors, that I was allowed to download, they have replaced the passive load with an acrive one to broaden the freq area that is dampened.
Was only trying to find measurement of corner bass traps to see if it was only a hype.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.