Acoustics of corners

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would advice to zoom in the waterfall between something like 20-350 Hz and use 5 dB increments...

even if it looks not so smooth, it sounds really good. And those two continue "blades" at 80 and 160Hz are just external noise from an UPS generator.

Attachments

• Waterfall_20-350_traps&5subs.PNG
    Waterfall_20-350_traps&5subs.PNG
    629.3 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
A couple months ago Dr. Geddes gave this answer about LF treatment. I hope it is not too late for a further question.
We are used to see everywhere in the Web those ceiling traps built as framed rockwool panels, spaced from the actual ceiling and covered in fabric.
The same devices are seen also on walls.
I understand the need for wideband absorption at first reflection points but, apart of it, should them be replaced by drywall panels attached to resilient channels, as explained above ?
I mean a ceiling with flat drywall "islands" instead of hanging rockwool boxes.
It would be a very different approach.
Thanks

Understand that my technique is very good for LF absorption while not absorbing much at HFs. That was my intent. Absorption panels tend to work in the exact opposite manner, that's why I don't use them. Small rooms needs lots of LF absorption, but not at HFs since almost everything in the room is going to do that job already. In a fairly well sealed room the LFs will get out of hand unless there is some absorption.

That article makes a couple of references to filling in dips with EQ, sorry, that can't be done.

That depends on how deep the dip is. A shallow one is no problem, but a true null cannot be eq'd. A deep null could only occur if there were only two interfering sources exactly out of phase. If there are more sources, like I recommend, then deep nulls are virtually impossible to happen and hence the entire LF spectrum can be corrected for three sources.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.