What is the most used impedance in speaker boxes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You can build any speaker with any resistance as long as your amplifier is designed to handle it.
There were some planars, like apogee scintilla, with just 0.3 ohm, known as amplifier eaters.
It is more prudent to build speaker with higher resistance, that way more amplifiers can be used without harm.
So 8 ohm would be beneficial.
Offcourse it will be less loud in direct comparison with 4 ohm speaker, say using A B switch, but assuming power amp is adequate, turning up volume a little is all it takes for 8 ohm speaker.
Not to forget, worth the mention, all amplifiers have much lower distortion profile at higher load resistance.
I have recently rewired 4way speaker from 4 ohms to 16 ohms, and now it sounds great with chip amps and tube amps with great clarity. Not going back.

4 is not necessarily louder then 8 when it comes to speakers you can't neglect relative efficiency of the driver.
an inefficient 4 ohm driver is going to task an amp more then an efficient 8 ohm driver.
from an amp design perspective i would look for best performance into as low a load impedance as i could.

In recent years 6-ohm loudspeakers are modern. Almost all of them are 4-ohm, of course.

Yes. I see a lot more "3 ohm" speakers now.

Many "8-ohm nominal" loudspeakers really are 4-ohm,

I measured a few popular speakers, and the claimed impedance is always bull.

"4-8 ohm" is really closer to 3 ohm. 6 ohm at 1 kHz, impedance varies from less than 2 ohm to 26 ohm. Terrible.

"8 ohm" is really 4 ohm minimum, 6 ohm at 1 kHz, impedance varies from 4 ohm to 26-30 ohm. Terrible.

Even my home built speakers "8 ohm" "built by the book" 5 ohm minimum, impedance varies from 5 ohm to 20 ohm. Still terrible.

And those "4-8 ohm"speakers, which are very popular, only sound their best when driven by an amplifier with generous reserve current (like my Nakamichi with 11 amps/channel on reserve), but sound thin and tinny when driven by an amplifier more oriented toward voltage headroom (like my Pioneer).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.