Good alternative to Audio Technology C-Quenze mid bass ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Flaxxer,
Great that you are going 3way but Scanspeaks are even more polite and further from what you want bass and lows wise.

I sure wish I could hear all of these different offerings .... I have no clue.

So here is what I've decided so far. I am going with some 12" woofer, with a 6.5"midrange, and one of these three tweeters, according to midrange choice:
ScanSpeak D3004 - 6600, Transducer Lab, N26CR2-G, or a ribbon if I just have to.

But that is the 3 way configuration I am dreaming of. Something that can do everything well. A LARGE floorstander with great dynamics. Micro and Macro.
This would be my very own reference pair, and is separate from the project for my son.

Something that can do everything well.

No one speaker does everything well.

3 ways with a large woofer is great for fullrange performance but may not give the punch you want. Notice no one here mentions large woofers for punch. In my experience, I get more punch from a speaker with six $23 SB OEM 6" midwoofers for rock/pop music than from one (of the best) $500 15" woofers.

The punch you are asking for is, IMO, actually odd order distortion from 6-7" woofers pushed beyond their normal operating range. They also roll off early so real low bass (~20-45hz) is truncated, giving it an apparent sense of speed as the rumbly longtail of a bass note is not noticed.

But the 15" woofer gives me better inner detail into the music and extension needed for classical and better recorded music with alot of rumbly lows.

The right speaker for everyone actually has a bunch of tradeoffs doing best in what you need more, less in others.

If you dont ever need to hear organ pipes or shake the house watching movies, a 3 way with whichever tweeter and mid you want matched to a bank of said Hivi D6.8 might do the trick better.

I sure wish I could hear all of these different offerings .... I have no clue.

So here is what I've decided so far. I am going with some 12" woofer, with a 6.5"midrange, and one of these three tweeters, according to midrange choice:
ScanSpeak D3004 - 6600, Transducer Lab, N26CR2-G, or a ribbon if I just have to.

But that is the 3 way configuration I am dreaming of. Something that can do everything well. A LARGE floorstander with great dynamics. Micro and Macro.
This would be my very own reference pair, and is separate from the project for my son.

Why a 6.5 mid-range?

3-way is a good idea, it can separate that tactile bass vs. high clarity midrange. Better still is a 4-way. ;)

Look to a high force (Bl) with higher Mms for its Sd and a lower Qe ..usually from a pro driver manufacturer - to get that tactile sound.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.