Good alternative to Audio Technology C-Quenze mid bass ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Am an ex-C-quenze 15H owner & know what you mean.

If I have kept them, I'd use two to four Hivi D6.8 woofers in a bass module to sit your 2 way on, crossed around 200-400hz to match baffle step.

The D6.8 woofers has an excellent bass punch when housed in a 10 litre aperiodic cabinet (Just had a ~6mm hole drilled into the sealed box)

By using a few of them per audio channel & crossing over to the 2 ways at bafflestep, the increased efficiency would allow you to remove baffle step from your 2ways resulting in a high efficiency speaker.

"6.5 inch" and "slam" are words not often used together, IMO.

I want to say, good point. But there are different types and levels of 'slam'

A great 6.5 can punch hard in it's own way. Look at the 7" Anarchy woofer.

I feel the low end is too 'polite' on the AT C-Quenze for my long term tastes. I don't want to lose the finesse or fidelity of that speaker, but want a better low end from a like sized driver. Maybe a Revelator ?

Am an ex-C-quenze 15H owner & know what you mean.

If I have kept them, I'd use two to four Hivi D6.8 woofers in a bass module to sit your 2 way on, crossed around 200-400hz to match baffle step.

The D6.8 woofers has an excellent bass punch when housed in a 10 litre aperiodic cabinet (Just had a ~6mm hole drilled into the sealed box)

By using a few of them per audio channel & crossing over to the 2 ways at bafflestep, the increased efficiency would allow you to remove baffle step from your 2ways resulting in a high efficiency speaker.

Ah hah ! He understands ! LOL

I think I will play around with some D6.8s in the future.

But the C-Quenze are gone already. I'm wanting to build another killer two way, but with more of the low end goodness.

I'm not blessed with a lot of money. I am at a disadvantage, because I haven't been able to hear many of the DIY speakers, to know the basic sonic differences between a Scan, Seas, Peerless, etc .... I SO VERY wish I did have that knowledge, and I wouldn't have to be asking questions like this thread, LOL. :D

The C-Quenze made stuff like Amos Lee sound like sex smothered on bread ... but left aggressive music styles like rock, rap, metal, or electronica making me want to take a nap before noon.

Use the same driver with this:

Car Audio - Series Notch Filter - Speaker Impedance Correction at Fs (Resonant Frequency)

Make sure that your inductor's resistance is a low as possible.

Then net result depending on your enclosure design with respect to your driver and the current drive of you amplifer, is (at its best) often a bit more "punch", greater clarity, and a seemingly half-octave of added extension on the low-end. (..it also helps to have a weighted-down cabinet and very good/ridged coupling of the driver to the baffle - which is why you'll see chrome-plated brass rings that the driver is attached to in some of the more expensive designs.)

EDIT: oops, didn't see that you'd already gotten rid of the driver.

Not much else sounds similar to AT poly-magnesium drivers at higher freq.s.. SB Acoustics has some good poly drivers (also magesium filled) that might be a bit closer to that sound.. but I doubt they have any more "drive" at lower freq.s.. :eek:

I'd look to the 5" driver from SB.. it's a particularly fine specimen:

Zaph|Audio

..then add drivers with higher force for the bass.

Last edited:
Flaxxer,

The D6.8 was reccomended specifically only if you already have the C-quenze but want improvements. It's has a 4" voice coil is very high power handling so it doesnt trim off the loudest bits of bass transients (power compression) most home audio drivers do. It also has a flaw that adds to exictement/slam, which is the high 3rd order distortion it emits.

If you are in the market for a 2 way again, the D6.8's midrange isn't good enough an alternative to the C-quenze.

I have tried the seas, scans and what not and have settled on paper cones for a do it all. Yes you can get what you want out of a 2way but we're talking about a large 15" midwoofer and a compression driver behind a equally wide horn.

Are you mentally ready for that kind of size?

Flaxxer,

The D6.8 was reccomended specifically only if you already have the C-quenze but want improvements. It's has a 4" voice coil is very high power handling so it doesnt trim off the loudest bits of bass transients (power compression) most home audio drivers do. It also has a flaw that adds to exictement/slam, which is the high 3rd order distortion it emits.

If you are in the market for a 2 way again, the D6.8's midrange isn't good enough an alternative to the C-quenze.

I have tried the seas, scans and what not and have settled on paper cones for a do it all. Yes you can get what you want out of a 2way but we're talking about a large 15" midwoofer and a compression driver behind a equally wide horn.

Are you mentally ready for that kind of size?

If I actually heard a large 15" midwoofer and a compression driver behind a equally wide horn, that sounded as good as a Vapor Audio, Salk Sound, Statements, Etc when it comes to making the hi rez audiophile recordings sound So amazing, I'd buy them really, really fast.

I can see big Pro style speakers making rock, metal, electronica, etc sound amazing .... but I struggle to imagine finesse SQ music sounding as well. Maybe my ignorance.

But the speaker's size is of no relevance to me. I can stand ANY sized speaker.

ScottG,
I was just wondering last night about if these notch filters making the impedance of the speaker flat works and if it has any side effects. I measured a pair of SB floorstanders I got and simulated 2 zoebels in X-Sim, the result looks damn good but does it work in real life?

ILkKBEH.jpg

Red is DATS measured impedance and Blue is after adding two series notch filters

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I'm really familiar with the Audio Technology C-Quenze 6.5" mid bass drivers in a 2-way. I've owned them, and enjoyed them. I only wish they had more slam and bass. What other drivers sound really good like this, but offer a bit more aggressive sounding bass ?

I recommend the Eclipse W6520R sold by Meniscus and designed with help of Jeff Bagby. Doesn't go quite as low as the Anarchy but close, with very low distortion and a beautiful midrange. Best of all, it's an amazing value at $70.

To quote Jeff:
"It's not a Satori or Revelator, but in the law of diminishing returns it's closer than the price would indicate. Plus, it doesn't have the mark-up a lot of those drivers have. I believe if it were coming from Europe it would probably cost twice as much, and we should take that into consideration".

Some measurements here.

It's my favorite woofer right now, and consider it superior to the SB17s I have owned (Paper and aluminum) and the Vifa NE180.

And yes, it slams. I've got 4 in MTM 20L cabinets and the bass is impressive. F3 45hz, F10 31hz.

Last edited:
I recommend the Eclipse W6520R sold by Meniscus and designed with help of Jeff Bagby. Doesn't go quite as low as the Anarchy but close, with very low distortion and a beautiful midrange. Best of all, it's an amazing value at $70.

To quote Jeff:

Some measurements here.

It's my favorite woofer right now, and consider it superior to the SB17s I have owned (Paper and aluminum) and the Vifa NE180.

And yes, it slams. I've got 4 in MTM 20L cabinets and the bass is impressive. F3 45hz, F10 31hz.
Better than NE series? High praise

ScottG,
..does it work in real life?

Yup. (..though it might not be precisely as modeled, though you are better off with impedance measured in-box.)

Note however that impedance is variable with input/excursion. It works at lower input levels. At higher input with excursion nearing xmax the impedance starts flattening-out anyway. The thing is though, most people don't listen at those levels - so it's almost always beneficial.

The down-side is that component quality still counts - so it can be tough getting a good ratio of cap performance to sound quality in a large value cap. (..and of course generally shoot for low very resistance for the inductor.) Numerous sources have reported that component performance is NOT substantive in this position - and though they aren't AS detrimental/beneficial as a "signal" component, it still matters. (..even Tony Gee (Humblehomemade.com) came to this conclusion at some point.) Of course a series notch filter for your tweeter has a greater reliance on cap-quality than the bass/midrange does.

Last edited:
The down-side is that component quality still counts - so it can be tough getting a good ratio of cap performance to sound quality in a large value cap.

Correction:

..it can be tough getting a good ratio of cap performance (sound quality) to PRICE in a large value cap..

The larger CSA from ClarityCap seems to hit the price-performance balance about as well as possible based on Tony Gee's cap test.

Madisound Speaker Components

Humble Homemade Hifi - Cap Test

(..I've not heard them myself mind you.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.