Overnight Sensation MTM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I'm new to the group so hopefully I'm in the right place.

I just took my first dive into DIY audio and built a set of MTM Overnight Sensations. (A brief look over the posts and most of the stuff here looks more exotic - hopefully this doesn't sound remedial)
I have my Mom's old Pioneer from the 70's, Class A, 12wpc, and a Trends Audio Class-T with 10wpc. I've listened to them on both.
It's hard to describe, but overall I feel like something is missing from these speakers. I don't know if it's a lack of power or my room is too big (it's a large space) or maybe I'm just expecting too much out of the 4" woofers. There seems to be a lack of pop from these speakers. The speakers sound warm and clear, but not crisp and they lack that thump that I enjoy. It seems weird to me because they go really low, surprisingly low, so why no punch?

Previously, I've had an old set of Boston Acoustic CR8's that I bought in the late 90's hooked up to the Trends amp. I have been happy with the setup.

If anyone has any thoughts they'd like to share I would appreciate it.

Attachments

• OvernightSensationsMTM.jpg
    OvernightSensationsMTM.jpg
    669.8 KB · Views: 283
  • MVIMG_20171119_135134.jpg
    MVIMG_20171119_135134.jpg
    952.6 KB · Views: 247
You are in the right place.

I can't comment on the specific MTM you're using but I did find some measurements of it at Overnight Sensation MTM - undefinition . It lacks low frequency https://f48a8583-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites...piYwPc6H87QJWJceFrvvabDdVw0Q==&attredirects=0 response that your other BA8's probably had.

So probably a combination (I don't know how big your room is) of smaller drivers and bigger room. You might try to add a small subwoofer and XO it at 120-150Hz to add the bass back to your MTMs,

If you could turn those nice stands into a pair of woofer/subwoofer pillars....

It's possible the location isn't helping the speakers. rear porting can work well with solid surfaces to bounce off but large voids like walkthroughs and doorways can lead to the bass wandering off in other directions.

J.

If you could turn those nice stands into a pair of woofer/subwoofer pillars....

It's possible the location isn't helping the speakers. rear porting can work well with solid surfaces to bounce off but large voids like walkthroughs and doorways can lead to the bass wandering off in other directions.

J.

Thanks for noticing the stands. I'm really proud of those. They are made from concrete. It took me forever to complete them. (see attached for a better photo)

I have another space I where I could put them, but that would require rearranging some furniture and negotiating with the wife. Maybe we'll get there eventually.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20171126_174619.jpg
    MVIMG_20171126_174619.jpg
    498.6 KB · Views: 188
Something I forgot to mention in my original post - one of the woofers had inverted polarity when I first hooked them up. I double checked and the positive and negative were connected to the right terminals. Took me longer than I care to admit to figure out why 1 speaker was significantly louder than the other.

Is this a common issue, that woofers are 180 degrees out of phase from the factory?

Attachments

• MVIMG_20171122_121703.jpg
    MVIMG_20171122_121703.jpg
    506 KB · Views: 187
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.