Zaph|Audio SB12.3, slight redesign

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Hi there,
Thanks for taking the time to reply, I was looking at Osborn Audio and that is true they make similar speakers what’s mean they not to pretty, except slim version :)
I was thinking about the design from that photo below my post of course with Zaph 12.3 speakers placement, what you guys thinking it’s possible?
Regards,
Raf

Attachments

• A1D689AB-5344-43BE-B206-298F604AB111.jpeg
    A1D689AB-5344-43BE-B206-298F604AB111.jpeg
    63.8 KB · Views: 515
Hi Smithie I have built the SB 12.3 and love them, Big clean soundand the bass is very clean and tight but not over the top. I think some people expected more doof but there not like that.

Attachments

• 20150131_125504 (Small).jpg
    20150131_125504 (Small).jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 600
  • 20150131_125905 (Medium) (Small).jpg
    20150131_125905 (Medium) (Small).jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 559
  • 20150123_150209.jpg
    20150123_150209.jpg
    470.2 KB · Views: 586
Hi there,
Thanks for taking the time to reply, I was looking at Osborn Audio and that is true they make similar speakers what’s mean they not to pretty, except slim version :)
I was thinking about the design from that photo below my post of course with Zaph 12.3 speakers placement, what you guys thinking it’s possible?
Regards,
Raf

That would probably change the sound too much.You would need to redesign the crossover for that baffle arrangement..Troels Gravesen emphasises that you cannot change anything about his baffle designs without changing the crossover to suit.

I am a furniture designer/maker.There are things you can do to make things that shape look less bluff.A name badge positioned about half way between the bottom and the woofer would also help.As would a recessed plinth type base.

Hi Smithie I have built the SB 12.3 and love them, Big clean soundand the bass is very clean and tight but not over the top. I think some people expected more doof but there not like that.

Lovely to see somebody take the time and have the skills to french polish.
I have done small pieces but nothing that size!
They look great.
Would have been more impressive modeled by a small women though!
Kylie Minogue would have been perfect.

I was thinking about the design from that photo below, ...you guys thinking it’s possible?Regards,Raf

As other members have stated, you will need a new crossover if you significantly change the cabinet shape, or the driver locations on the front baffle. Zaph even warns about moving the MTM drivers to the baffle center line from their current 3" offset.

Because of the polar pattern from the MTM alignment, Zaph also recommends placing the SB12.3 speakers with about 5-degrees of physical tilt-in, which means Zaph wants you to listen to the SB12.3 MTM off-axis.
======
I have not modeled nor simulated using the MTM on a narrow front + side woofer design. Posts on this thread discuss TM designs with modest diffraction cabinets which integrate well with the SB_Acoustics SB34NRX75-6. Posts discuss proven TM designs with a 6" midbass and 1" dome tweeter which can be "low risk" converted to a 3-way similar to the "The Kairos and Continuum Three-Ways pdf"
======
======
Your dream speaker picture is the 3way TMW Wilmslow Prestige which uses a ported 12" woofer with a 311mm frame vs. the 364mm frame on the SB-Acoustics. If you favor this Avalon style truncated pyramid cabinet using a sealed box 12" SB34NRX75-6, you should study 6" midrange options like the
$75 SB17NRX35-8 with paper cone, SBMFC35 plastic, or $150 Satori MR16P papyrus cone plus short coil.
=======

Attachments

• example 3W.jpg
    example 3W.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 510
Hello there,
I’ve been wondering why Zaph didn’t go the road Mission go, or maybe they look at his design and decided to build something what people may like, first impression when I look at new Mission QX-5 Zaph SB12.3 with side woofer...

Attachments

• 5692892A-B30D-4FA3-8E55-72C87FEFA082.jpg
    5692892A-B30D-4FA3-8E55-72C87FEFA082.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 226
I am pretty much confident that Zaph's guiding idea always was and always will be a better sound quality. It may be because a larger baffle area creates less baffle step problems and smoother spl summing at w/mid xo point. Perhaps a narrower enclosure would not have had enough net woofer volume. Curiously, buyers value outer appearance more than SQ which is absolutely in order.

I rather fancy the looks of many Thiel model of speakers. So, I borrowed some ideas from both Zaph (12.3) and Thiel in my latest build that is ongoing this winter. I'm looking at using just a single midrange driver like Satori MR16P-4 rather then a MTM arrangement that Zaph used. The most difficult part of the design process has been deciding on what midrange driver to use. I purchased a pair of B&C 6NDL38's that appeared to match what I was looking for, but they appear to be designed for rear mount applications. They would be just plain ugly recessed mounted from the front. So, the search for the allusive midrange continues.:D It may well be that for a single midrange design like mine, I may need to look at 4 ohm options like Satori MR16P-4. I have settled on SB 34NRX75-6 for the woofers and Satori TW29R for tweeters (already purchased). It appears to me the offerings for dedicated midrange applications are minimal at best.:(

Best,
Rich

Attachments

• thiel6.jpg
    thiel6.jpg
    490.2 KB · Views: 153
  • thiel4.jpg
    thiel4.jpg
    448.3 KB · Views: 166
If you LOVE the ATC cabinet style, you could look for a well reviewed 3-speaker, 3-way design which fits that shape and volume. It is desirable to have the tweeter around 36-39" high. Good ear level, and then typical tweeter dispersion also covers standing listeners. A SEALED 4cuft volume for the 12" SB34NRX75-6 delivers -F3 ~35Hz with SPL ~87db after a modest baffle step. Replacing the two 5" midrange with one 6" is a better match for the ATC cabinet.

1.1" Dome SB29RDC-4
6" Satori MW16P-8 or lower cost SB17NRX35-8
12" woofer SB34NRX75-6

There are several free designs using the SB29RDC-4 tweeter and SB17NRX35-8 or MW16P-8 midranges to which you can add the 12" SB34NRX75-6 woofer. An LR2 electrical circuit works well because the Le=1.8mH for the SB34NRX75-6. I can post examples if you go down this path.
You can also Bi-Amp with an active crossover for the woofer. For the best sound, the crossover must be tuned to the baffle shape, woofer height, and room placement.

Meniscus Audio has a few 2-way kits like Jeff Bagby' Adelphos and Mandolin, plus Jeff's write-up on extending them to 3-way by adding a woofer.
What is your budget for raw speakers + crossover parts?

Apologies in advance because I know this is an old thread, but what speaker is this? Does it have a home on the web where i can read more about it?

edit: Just realized it might not be clear which one I'm referring to. The one in the attachement of the original post.

Last edited:
I'm familiar with Zaph's speaker. I was referring to the image in the post from linesource, but, now that I'm more awake, I think its a commercial speaker from atc.

I was in a state of stupefaction from a trying day and falling on ice on my way home. I didn't pickup that linesource's suggestions were about adding a woofer to various existing two ways, similar to what Jeff Bagby did with the continuum.

Qyery regarding your speaker

hi Tony,

I am also planning to build these speakers, can you please let me know
1. Which centre speaker are you using, does it blend well in terms of sound.
2. SB bass is punchy or boomy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.