Good tweeter for less than USD 25.00 each?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What would you suggest as the best tweeters for less than USD 25-30 each? I have read comparisons by many of you in earlier threads, and they were very interesting, but those were at higher price points.

I intend to drive these tweeters through active amplifications and active xo, LR4 at about 2.5KHz. They'll form part of a two-way sealed box which will have two or four 6.5" midbass drivers (Indian made, Bolton brand poly cone drivers, incidentally). Since those midbass drivers can't go beyond about 2.5K, that'll have to be the highest xo frequency I can use. (Yes, I know you shouldn't xo in the 300-3K range. :D But these are the first speakers I'm doing in many years, and the midbass drivers are already with me, so I just want to complete this box and listen to it. The world-beating Nihil Ultra design can come later.) So, I guess I'll have to restrict myself to tweeters with fs of 1KHz or lower, right? And yes, they'll have to mount on a wooden front panel... I'm not looking at horns etc at the moment.

How good are the Tang Band tweeters? Creative Sound used to have a wide range of TB drivers (I've ordered some once) but now they seem to have just three models. No tweeters. I found them in Parts Express, though: the 28-847SA. One lovely thing about this driver is its low resonant frequency.

What do you think of the Vifa D27TG05-06? It's available in India off-the-shelf... that's one plus for it.

USD 25 does not seem like an unusably low budget to me... there seem to be lots of tweeters at Madisound within this limit. And I'm willing to try lesser known brands like Dayton (what about this one, for instance?), if you guys tell me to. (Remember, my speakers will probably be decidedly mid-fi by the standards of most of you.) One constraint I have is that whatever you suggest must be available by mail order from a US or Canadian reseller ... I don't want to pay shipping from any other country to the US, and my friend who will carry the drivers to me is in the US.

Thanks in advance for the help. :)

Most of the Seas and Vifa tweeters will do. I haven't tried Tangband tweeters but have heard that their quality control isn't up to Vifa/Seas standards. I have heard good things about the Daytons but would rather spend a bit more and get Vifa/Seas.

Hope this helps.:)

There was some discussion about how the TB's quality control is horrible because they moved production from Taiwan to China. QC is horrible in China (e.g. Hi-Vi and now Silver Flute). I think GR Research use TB tweeters for their kits. Their T1's are suppose to be nice, I think it's the last of the Taiwanese TBs. The Northcreek tweeters are nice too.
I'm going to be using the vifa d25, which i'm told it doesn't have the metallic sound that aluminum domes are known to have.

coolkhoa said:
Most of the Seas and Vifa tweeters will do..... I have heard good things about the Daytons but would rather spend a bit more and get Vifa/Seas.
Cool, thanks. This means that I can probably try pretty much any fabric dome in my price range whose fs and response curve look good enough. What about the Audax and Morels? Do you have any idea about those?

I have a 28-847S in a center.. I cant really tell you much because I havent finished the crossover, and I dont really know anything anyway..

neura has only 2 TB tweeters: 25-302S, and 28-847S

Then a bunch more in the clearance section, but all the links to the spec sheets are dead.

Maybe some are decent, they are all 10$

tcpip said:
. What about the Audax and Morels? Do you have any idea about those?

There was an extended discussion about tweeter 15 days ago on Madisound board. A kind of tweeter contest... ;)
I don't know Morels but most of the Audax tweeters have high crossover point > 2.5K (often > 3k).

Good luck, and let us have few pictures.
Lionel

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
tcpip said:
Did you mean TDFC (H1189)? Yes, they both look good on paper, and if you've heard them, then that's excellent for me. The TDFC seems even more interesting than the TFFC, BTW, because it has a really low fs, and the curve seems flatter (at least on paper). Thanks. :)

Yes, you are correct, I typed the letters out of order. I have the TFFC in a pair of my speakers here, and have heard them in other's speakers. It is quite a good tweeter for the money.

--
Brian

tcpip said:
Cool, thanks. This means that I can probably try pretty much any fabric dome in my price range whose fs and response curve look good enough. What about the Audax and Morels? Do you have any idea about those?

Morel is known for its tweeters, they have good response curves, and are good values in the lower price ranges. (I haven't tried them either.) Audax tweeters are also good, though IMO not exceptional in any regard (they do have nice compact tweeters).

Check out the LDSG. Click on a vendor to see a list of recommended drivers.

Cheers

diamdiam said:
The Northcreek tweeters are nice too.
You mean the North D25-06S, $36/pair? They seem to believe it's the best thing since the Scan-Speak 9500. At that price, if they're even half right, it'll be a steal.
I'm going to be using the vifa D25, which i'm told it doesn't have the metallic sound that aluminum domes are known to have. [/B]
These may not be the right ones for me... their fs is a bit on the higher side for my needs.

Lionel said:
I don't know Morels but most of the Audax tweeters have high crossover point > 2.5K (often > 3k).
Even if I do LR4? Most people seem to build passive xo, and then they usually go only 2nd or 3rd order. With a steeper slope like 4th, you can safely go a bit lower, usually. (Warning: freshie shooting his mouth off...)

Good luck, and let us have few pictures.
Oh, yes, certainly, once I finish building something. My first speakers will be 4 midbasses plus one tweeter each side. Each driver will be powered by a Gainclone. So we're talking a total of 10 amps here. :) I certainly need all your good wishes. :D

thomas997 said:
neura has only 2 TB tweeters: 25-302S, and 28-847S
Ah yesssss... Nuera! I'd ordered from Nuera, not Creative Sound. Don't know why I mixed them up. (Are both Canadian?) I'll go look at the Nuera pages now...

But in any case, considering that there are quite a few Vifas and Daytons and North Creek options at pretty low prices, I may just try some of those this round. Let's see.... I'm still waiting to hear more of your inputs.

Right now, the options that I'm wondering about, in no particular order, are
  • Seas 27TDFC: $28.85/ea
  • Morel MDT20: $26.15/ea
  • North D25-06: $36/pair
  • Peerless 811815: $17.80/ea
  • Dayton (PE #275-070): $15.50/ea
Let's see what else we come up with. The Vifa D27 textile dome is there too. At this price range, and given my current needs, I need two pairs of drivers. I've therefore decided to select two different models and buy one pair of each. That way, I'll get to see and hear more...

One more candidate...

Audax TM025F1, a small textile dome with pretty good specifications. Low distorsion as well, based on the measurements of a German DIY magazine (Hobby Hifi). Madisound price $19.10 each.

I have a pair in an unfinished project (one of them...). They sound at least OK, but more listening and tweaking would be needed before I could give my final verdict.

Regards,
Pekka

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.