Good tweeter for less than USD 25.00 each? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th April 2004, 03:42 AM   #1
tcpip is offline tcpip  India
diyAudio Member

Default Good tweeter for less than USD 25.00 each?

What would you suggest as the best tweeters for less than USD 25-30 each? I have read comparisons by many of you in earlier threads, and they were very interesting, but those were at higher price points.

I intend to drive these tweeters through active amplifications and active xo, LR4 at about 2.5KHz. They'll form part of a two-way sealed box which will have two or four 6.5" midbass drivers (Indian made, Bolton brand poly cone drivers, incidentally). Since those midbass drivers can't go beyond about 2.5K, that'll have to be the highest xo frequency I can use. (Yes, I know you shouldn't xo in the 300-3K range. But these are the first speakers I'm doing in many years, and the midbass drivers are already with me, so I just want to complete this box and listen to it. The world-beating Nihil Ultra design can come later.) So, I guess I'll have to restrict myself to tweeters with fs of 1KHz or lower, right? And yes, they'll have to mount on a wooden front panel... I'm not looking at horns etc at the moment.

How good are the Tang Band tweeters? Creative Sound used to have a wide range of TB drivers (I've ordered some once) but now they seem to have just three models. No tweeters. I found them in Parts Express, though: the 28-847SA. One lovely thing about this driver is its low resonant frequency.

What do you think of the Vifa D27TG05-06? It's available in India off-the-shelf... that's one plus for it.

USD 25 does not seem like an unusably low budget to me... there seem to be lots of tweeters at Madisound within this limit. And I'm willing to try lesser known brands like Dayton (what about this one, for instance?), if you guys tell me to. (Remember, my speakers will probably be decidedly mid-fi by the standards of most of you.) One constraint I have is that whatever you suggest must be available by mail order from a US or Canadian reseller ... I don't want to pay shipping from any other country to the US, and my friend who will carry the drivers to me is in the US.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 5th April 2004, 03:53 AM   #2
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
For a budget tweeter, I like the Seas 27TFFC, which cost a little over $25. The newer version is the 27TFDC, which has the same response curve, but supposedly better power handling.

--
Brian
Old 5th April 2004, 05:52 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to coolkhoa Send a message via MSN to coolkhoa Send a message via Yahoo to coolkhoa
Most of the Seas and Vifa tweeters will do. I haven't tried Tangband tweeters but have heard that their quality control isn't up to Vifa/Seas standards. I have heard good things about the Daytons but would rather spend a bit more and get Vifa/Seas.

Hope this helps.
Old 5th April 2004, 06:10 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to diamdiam
There was some discussion about how the TB's quality control is horrible because they moved production from Taiwan to China. QC is horrible in China (e.g. Hi-Vi and now Silver Flute). I think GR Research use TB tweeters for their kits. Their T1's are suppose to be nice, I think it's the last of the Taiwanese TBs. The Northcreek tweeters are nice too.
I'm going to be using the vifa d25, which i'm told it doesn't have the metallic sound that aluminum domes are known to have.
Old 5th April 2004, 06:14 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianGT
... The newer version is the 27TFDC, which has the same response curve
Did you mean TDFC (H1189)? Yes, they both look good on paper, and if you've heard them, then that's excellent for me. The TDFC seems even more interesting than the TFFC, BTW, because it has a really low fs, and the curve seems flatter (at least on paper). Thanks.
Old 5th April 2004, 06:17 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by coolkhoa
Most of the Seas and Vifa tweeters will do..... I have heard good things about the Daytons but would rather spend a bit more and get Vifa/Seas.
Cool, thanks. This means that I can probably try pretty much any fabric dome in my price range whose fs and response curve look good enough. What about the Audax and Morels? Do you have any idea about those?
Old 5th April 2004, 06:24 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I have a 28-847S in a center.. I cant really tell you much because I havent finished the crossover, and I dont really know anything anyway..

neura has only 2 TB tweeters: 25-302S, and 28-847S

Then a bunch more in the clearance section, but all the links to the spec sheets are dead.

Maybe some are decent, they are all 10$
Old 5th April 2004, 06:31 AM   #8
Lionel is offline Lionel  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tcpip
. What about the Audax and Morels? Do you have any idea about those?
There was an extended discussion about tweeter 15 days ago on Madisound board. A kind of tweeter contest...
I don't know Morels but most of the Audax tweeters have high crossover point > 2.5K (often > 3k).

Good luck, and let us have few pictures.
Lionel
Old 5th April 2004, 06:34 AM   #9
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
Quote:
Did you mean TDFC (H1189)? Yes, they both look good on paper, and if you've heard them, then that's excellent for me. The TDFC seems even more interesting than the TFFC, BTW, because it has a really low fs, and the curve seems flatter (at least on paper). Thanks.
Yes, you are correct, I typed the letters out of order. I have the TFFC in a pair of my speakers here, and have heard them in other's speakers. It is quite a good tweeter for the money.

--
Brian
Old 5th April 2004, 06:35 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to coolkhoa Send a message via MSN to coolkhoa Send a message via Yahoo to coolkhoa
Quote:
Cool, thanks. This means that I can probably try pretty much any fabric dome in my price range whose fs and response curve look good enough. What about the Audax and Morels? Do you have any idea about those?

Morel is known for its tweeters, they have good response curves, and are good values in the lower price ranges. (I haven't tried them either.) Audax tweeters are also good, though IMO not exceptional in any regard (they do have nice compact tweeters).

Check out the LDSG. Click on a vendor to see a list of recommended drivers.

Cheers

Hide this!Advertise here!