Raal ribbon with Scanspeak dome midrange?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im considering using Raal ribbon with scanspeak dome midrange. Its said that dome midranges doesnt gel well with ribbons and hence we don`t see such designs in existing products except Dali speakers where ribbon used as super tweeters but in general is it real or myth that dome mids dont gel with ribbons?

Im considering using Raal ribbon with scanspeak dome midrange. Its said that dome midranges doesnt gel well with ribbons and hence we don`t see such designs in existing products except Dali speakers where ribbon used as super tweeters but in general is it real or myth that dome mids dont gel with ribbons?
Would love to here how they gel , I'm using a Morel with a Monacor essential as a trial to see if the marriage of dome and ribbon work . So far so good ,the imaging is spectacular fourth order Linkwidtz on the mids @ 4500

I see no reason they shouldn't work well together. Dome mid lets you cross to the tweeter higher, and also needs a woofer that can cover a wider range than systems with a 4" or 5 1/4" mid. The Infinity Kappa 6 used a 10", 3" dome, and planar "EMIT" tweeter and did a lot of things really well, more modern drivers and electronics/optimization/measurement tools, that type of driver complement has a lot going for it. XOs in the 800Hz and 3.5kHz range seem like a good balance to me.

Last edited:
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member

I do not see any problem...just heard top of the line von schweikert at caf, one of the best sounds and way ahead of other rooms...
Capital Audiofest 2017 Demo Room Videos - AVSForum.com
See vac and von schweikert

It's not entirely a myth.

1. Vertical dispersion is often quite and are more dependent on the chosen crossover between the two types of drivers.

2. Pressure differences close to each source are different - the pressure gradient is NOT similar.

3. Domes (for a given surface area) have a LOT more damping than most ribbons at higher freq.s. and often have quite different rear chamber damping (..with dome mid.s having a LOT more of it than ribbon tweeters where it would react with net motion resistance).

4. Dome mid.s usually have a lot more mass for their surface area than ribbon tweeters.

Note that 1 & 2 can often be taken care of with more than 1 mid. in a vertical array.

The second part of #3 can be improved on with drivers that have excellent rear-chamber design, or modified to alter the rear chamber.

TIP: you can get better results (typically) all-round by choosing multiple dome TWEETERS with low fs and good or modified rear chamber design. Put them in a vertical array. There lower mass extends to their surround - usually having a LOT less damping than their larger dome mid.s. 6 in an array with a larger surface area (30 mm tweeters or larger) and an Fs near 500 Hz should result in a more complimentary design. ;)

It's not entirely a myth.

1. Vertical dispersion is often quite and are more dependent on the chosen crossover between the two types of drivers.

2. Pressure differences close to each source are different - the pressure gradient is NOT similar.

3. Domes (for a given surface area) have a LOT more damping than most ribbons at higher freq.s. and often have quite different rear chamber damping (..with dome mid.s having a LOT more of it than ribbon tweeters where it would react with net motion resistance).

4. Dome mid.s usually have a lot more mass for their surface area than ribbon tweeters.

Note that 1 & 2 can often be taken care of with more than 1 mid. in a vertical array.

The second part of #3 can be improved on with drivers that have excellent rear-chamber design, or modified to alter the rear chamber.

TIP: you can get better results (typically) all-round by choosing multiple dome TWEETERS with low fs and good or modified rear chamber design. Put them in a vertical array. There lower mass extends to their surround - usually having a LOT less damping than their larger dome mid.s. 6 in an array with a larger surface area (30 mm tweeters or larger) and an Fs near 500 Hz should result in a more complimentary design. ;)

Regarding the 3rd point i didn't understand the pressure gradient will be different. With respect to what does the pressure gradient will be different?

Regarding the 3rd point i didn't understand the pressure gradient will be different. With respect to what does the pressure gradient will be different?

It's actually the 2nd point I mentioned (referring to changes in the pressure gradient).

As you move close to each source (within a foot and closer), there will be differences in pressure between the two units versus a measured position a meter or more (where we are assuming a design with equal pressure between the line-tweeter and dome tweeter). Higher freq.s will become LOUDER from a line-tweeter (vs. the dome mid.) at those much closer distances.

-people tend to think this is of no consequence, particularly in the far-field for these freq.s. (..but they would be wrong).

(..it's not unlike thinking that diffraction effects are simply an average with each driver's output, and that only a decent polar (smooth on and off axis) a meter or more away is required for best performance.)

I've done it on a few occasions, and seen others do it on a few occasions. It's a myth.

Just to name a couple:
Scott Sehlin's "Indium7" project.
My "Attitudes" project.
PWR RYD's "Agendas" and "Gormachos".

This is a very good arrangement; solid 8"/10" woofer, 2-3" dome midrange, and a ribbon/planar tweeter.

Good stuff!
Wolf

Oh, you can get good sound regardless with a competent design.

-but this doesn't mean it couldn't be improved upon with characteristics that match better between the two types of drivers.

Again, not entirely a myth.

This has been done by Dali for years. If you ever get a chance please, audition one of the Dali epicon speakers, they are IMHO one of the most overlooked high end speakers in the market today - amazing sound, drivers and build quality.

I think mating a low fs 1.5 or even 2" dome with a planar without using too many crossover components is a pretty good idea.

Dali has some pretty detailed descriptions and pictures of their combined driver module at their website

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.