Insanely dumb question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all... haven't been here in over six years :) I used to know more stuff at one point, but all my knowledge has left me haha.

I have some speakers that I once built myself out of some reused drivers. I'm now giving them away to someone totally unknowledgeable, and am trying to set them up right.

Now for my dumbass question:
I looked up the specs for the drivers. They are diamond audio HEX s600's. They are listed at 150W RMS.... my question: the way it's usually listed, that would be total, right? i.e., 75W per channel? Or is it 150W per channel?

Edit: important to add: they are sold for cars. So always come in pairs, with tweeters and crossovers. So that's why I was asking about per channel vs total.

Last edited:
I also found this old picture which has 150W on the driver... so makes me wonder if its per channel?

s600a-07.jpg

You seem to be stuck on "per channel" for some reason, are you just trying to spec an amp for this woofer? Generally a speaker is only hooked up to one channel (left or right) so the 150 W rating is for one channel. As others have said here, the rating is meaningless because there are possibly situations where you could tear that woofer apart with <50W, yet others where it would be perfectly fine with 150 for short periods.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
150 clean watts maybe when steeply crossed over at 60 Hz.

That's right, with low frequencies the maximum excursion is reached far earlier than the maximum power. If the voice coil hits the back pole plate, the driver is usually done. That's why most speakers benefit from a subsonic filter in high to maximum volume cases. It lowers the distortion too but the low cut has to be adjusted to the speaker box.

I have some speakers that I once built myself out of some reused drivers. I'm now giving them away to someone totally unknowledgeable, and am trying to set them up right.

Now for my dumbass question:
I looked up the specs for the drivers. They are diamond audio HEX s600's. They are listed at 150W RMS.... my question: the way it's usually listed, that would be total, right? i.e., 75W per channel? Or is it 150W per channel?

Like already said, the maximum power isn't the problem. And, if you are looking for an amp, you should always get a bigger one than the speakers because a small amp starts clipping at its limit and that can very easily kill the tweeters. And yes, that can happen even if the amp got a much lower output than the speakers can take according to the specs. Besides that, the Watt specs are the ones which say the least about the speaker. It does not say how good it sounds and not even how loud it can get.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.