TAD sound quality

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would tend to get more excited about

I would tend to get more excited about the TAD compression drivers than I would the woofers/cones..

Such a choice would also depend on how it was going to be used and what the full configuration would be.

Regards

Ken L

TAD components are absolutely top notch and found in the most expensive studio monitoring systems all over the world. They are also in a completely different league pricewise than any of the other speakers that you mention - sigh.
Ken is right that the TAD horn/Beryllium Driver combination seems to stand out among their products - in fact, for high SPL/dynamics, low distortion and low crossover point the TAD compression drivers are one of the ONLY few choices.

:D

Hi

The TAD products are certainly good,
but can be very ruthless/difficult if the rest of the equipment
isn't good enough. A lot of people thinks that JBL or Altec sounds
"smoother", if you know what I mean.
I use TAD drivers myself and like what I hear,
the horns are very important tho, a never ending story to get right :D

cheers ;)

So far I haven't been impressed with TAD compression drivers (2001 or 4001). I've heard them on SB, edgar and CAR horns so far.

I think it might be best to try to listen to as many Compression driver/horn combinations that you can...to find what you prefer.

take care>>>>>>>>>

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
The 1601a is tight and solid in the bass, but it is a pro driver and you have to pull a few tricks to get them down to the low 30's. The 4001's are great sounding drivers once they break in. They are smooth with good high-end extension. Maybe a little on the soft side (for compression drivers). Be careful, the surrounds are fragile and TAD replacements run $800ea. I lost both of mine and am currently running Radian diaphragms. Deffinately a different sound and require equilization (1st order hi-pass @ ~5kHz).

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
till said:

How did this happen? How did you recognize?
Hi Till,

The main reason for the failure, I think, is that I didn’t have a hi-pass filter ahead of the driver. Since I tri-amp, the driver was direct coupled to the amp. The other possibility is the fact that I just put an older DAC into my system (I’m using the DVD player for CD play back). When I put in a DVD in the player without switching out the DAC I would get some very crude sounds coming through the system (I would guess square waves of various levels). Between these two factors, I’m assuming that one or both did the damage to the 4001 beryllium diaphragms (actually, the beryllium surrounds).

I don’t know how your 2001 diaphragms are made, but the 4001 diaphragms and surrounds are one continuous piece of beryllium. This makes them, IMO, too fragile and very expensive.

I first noticed a loss of focus of the image and level in the midrange. That didn’t last long before the left channel was gone. Once I found the separated surround, I checked the other driver and it too was well on its way to failure.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
till said:
you make me fear...

Is it possible without danger to open the compression drivers and have a look at the diaphragm?
This is a link to the IWATA horns that Frank referenced in his earlier post. It shows an exploded view of the TAD 2001 driver. That should give you a good idea on how to disassemble them. You may need to give the end cover a little tap with a soft mallet to break it loose.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.