Morel MW167 + MDT33 Kit Search

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Doesn't look like anyone can find an available kit. So, since I had some free time whilst I wait for my car to be repaired, I have put together a theoretical solution. The traces are from the datasheets, I have assumed a path difference between the tweeter and woofer of 30mm (90uS) and I have compromised the phase response of the crossover to somewhat suppress the breakup peak in the woofer.

The crossover is a 4th order Linkwitz Riley acoustic response in the crossover region. Made up of a 2nd order bass passive filter and a 3rd order passive tweeter filter. I went with third order on the tweeter as improves suppression of the 1-2KHz region which this tweeter appears to have energy storage problems (looking at the spectral decay and impedance curves).

I compromised on the crossover to some extent as you are using existing drivers, I assumed you did not want to get into a complex and expensive crossover so I went with want I thought would work OK. I also compromised somewhat to keep the crossover fairly high phase alignment would be easier to achieve lower in frequency but the tweeter doesn't look like it would work well in this region (1-2KHz).

I have assumed 0.22R in the bass inductor this should not be to hard to achieve with a reasonable cost inductor, you could go a bit higher without to much compromise. The tweeter inductor resistance is used to adjust the performance, so if the inductor has a lower resistance than this put a fixed resistor in series with it to make the combined resistance about equal to the value shown.

0R resistors are locations where I was trying resistance to see what effect it would have on the response but found it was not beneficial so no resistor is needed.

The box is also a compromise, this bass driver does not work well without a port and even with one its not going to be a bass monster. The box is about 10L which is fairly small and the port comes out at about 6.5 inches long for a 2 inch diameter port.

This crossover has a reasonable level of tolerance to increased or reduced time delay so should sound OK even if the time delay is longer. However it works better the shorter the delay so the tweeter and woofer definitely want to be placed as close to each other as possible. As delay increases the crossover error increases causing more of a suck out on axis at the crossover frequency.

For some reason the JPG I attached and showed in the preview, have not uploaded. I will attache to this post maybe it timed out.

Attachments

• MDT33 MW167 XOVER.JPG
    MDT33 MW167 XOVER.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 261
  • MDT33 MW167 SPL.JPG
    MDT33 MW167 SPL.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 258
  • MDT33 MW167 Phase.JPG
    MDT33 MW167 Phase.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 215
  • MW167 VENTED BOX.JPG
    MW167 VENTED BOX.JPG
    253.7 KB · Views: 208
  • MDT33 MW167 IMP.JPG
    MDT33 MW167 IMP.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 260
And the last of the plots including the plots I used from the data sheets, which were traced to provide frequency and impedance data.

Attachments

• mw167 IMP.JPG
    mw167 IMP.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 71
  • MW167 FREQ.JPG
    MW167 FREQ.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 55
  • MDT33 IMP2.JPG
    MDT33 IMP2.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 70
  • MDT33 FREQ.JPG
    MDT33 FREQ.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 68
  • MDT33 MW167 filter.JPG
    MDT33 MW167 filter.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 82
The measurements are from the manufacturers data sheets. I do not have access to the drive units.

The MW167 is the 8 ohm version.

This is a completely theoretical design I have not built it, so no I have not listened to it.

The measurements are all theoretical predictions from a crossover simulation package.

The phase is minimum phase predicted from the amplitude response.

I'd say gfiandy is on the money there. I thought the Morel Duet was along these lines. Morel 6" drivers are fairly predictable.

650852d1513109966-crossover-current-speakers-morel-duet-xo-jpg

Morel "Duet Fortissimo": Because I need another project! | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Might help, anyway. :)

Hey! So, I still have these speakers and they are one of my favorites. I should note that the drivers I used are much older, and I believe I padded the tweeter a little more after considerable listening. Message me and I'll see if I can help fill in the details on the crossover.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.