Ultimate DIY kit for loud and DYNAMICS ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I got the same question for the design of a high efficiency speaker, that can play very loud. I have worked out one completely on paper, it is not built yet. I have chosen for a 4-way system, active (digital) filtered.
For woofer and midwoofer I have chosen for Acoustic Elegance TD12H in a basreflex cabinet and the TD10M in a closed box. They have such high efficiency and high excursion capabilities. In this way you can play very loud at the woofer maximum excursion. The current designed system can play 112.5dB at 1m, 2.83Vrms. Chosing a 15inch Acoustic elegance woofer it can play 116dB at the woofer maximum excursion. A 15 inch system will become larger, but it is also a possible choice. With the 12 inch the overall sensitivity is about 93dB at 1m, 2.83Vrms.
For the midrange the Accuton C173-6-096E is chosen and for the tweeter the SB Satori TW29BN beryllium.
I have chosen now for this set of drivers, but another choice is also possible. The Acoustic Elegance are very high performing, not easy to beat them.
Crossoverfrequencies are chosen now at 125, 500 and 2000Hz and the first design is a LR4 on a miniDSP platform. Other filtering like Butterworth or elliptical filtering is also an option. Other digital platforms are also possible, like Hypex for instance. A passive filter is also an option, but in that case the efficiency will become lower if you like to keep a low -3dB low frequency response.
The complete system is described on www.vcllabs.com in my blog chapter. If there is any further progress I will post.

Sounds fascinating! I will check your build thread out. I'm liking your driver choices.

My nephew is a Metal Head and purchased a pair of DIY Sound Group's Fusion 10.
Even driven by a boring $300 home theater receiver they can drive you out of the room.
Plenty of slam - that compression driver beats the hell out of a dome tweeter for dynamics.

Simple kit and plenty of support if you need help.
Painted with Duratex, they make great bachelor speakers!

Herm

How is the sound quality on the Fusions? When I was looking for reviews it seemed like a lot of people used them for home theater purposes. I'm interested in a strictly music application.

OP the Fusion kits look very interesting.

Big thanks to everyone! I was contacted by a somewhat local fellow, and was able to hear a couple of Pro driver kits which are SO popular. Awesome improvement over horns of old! But still not what I was hoping for exactly.

So after MUCH deliberation, my son and I decided on this kit ... But with completely different custom cabinets ....

39402301952_fabe15398d_z.jpg
[/url]b1371 by Cullen Graham, on Flickr[/IMG]

39402304192_28d9411d9d_z.jpg
[/url]1B1371_pair by Cullen Graham, on Flickr[/IMG]

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.